1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

'Best' Diesel Engine.

Discussion in 'A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)' started by K90YndA, Jan 22, 2012.

1. K90YndA

K90YndA New Member

Hey, sorry if this question has been asked many a time...

I am looking to buy a 8P2 A3 TDI (Big Grill)

1.9 TDi - Is it the same engine as the bulletproof PD's out of the mk4 golfs?
    2.0 TDi - Heard the pre 04 ones are bad, is this true?

Which is the 'best' to get, thanks alot.

2. Advert Guest Advertisement

3. FranA3

FranA3 events moderator
    Regional Rep Team Brill Red Gold Supporter Audi A3

i don't think there is a best tdi but for good eco the 1.9 is a well tested engine that is as you say bullet proof pretty much , but for performance and eco the 2.0 140 is the best all rounder but for all out performance the 170 is the one to have , the early tdi's had bad cylinder heads they crack the later ones don't suffer with that problem

4. nally

nally MPG the new BPH

the 140's older one ( depending on what unit ) are common for the head going ( sure its pre 05)
    i have had a 140 2006 and a 140 2009 and i think its an awsome engin i have noticed that the turbo on the new one is verry quiet on the older one seemed to have more boost ( just my opinion as when you put the clutch in sounded like it had a dv) the new turbo is so quiet you cant even hear it.

1.9 has better fule econ thank the 2.0 but the 2.0 is a better all rounder imo

Sheikh likes this.
  5. K90YndA

K90YndA New Member

Thanks guys, think Ill go for a post 05 2.0TDI then :)