Best Dampers/Shocks for Air/lowered B8's?

Meemo

Reaction score
@DPM and anyone else :)
What rear shocks are you running on your lowered B8's?

I am running some awful Fk's from my old coilovers, bit of a bouncy castle in the back, but I have Performance bags with adjustable damping up front set perfectly (drives like it was on uprated springs, very much rate) .

I want to change the rears for something better, Bilstein, H and R or simular.
What do people on here have and how they rate them? pricing too if you remember how much it set you back!

Slam series rear shocks are 600, but dont know if they are actually better for driving, or just for airing out.

Something like the Bilstein B8 would be a good option.

Damian @ DPM Performance

that was quick! thanks :)
How do these hold up with the punishment of air ride, good reputation for lonevity? You got a price for these?

They're monotone dampers so shouldn't have any problems.

Damian @ DPM Performance

Thanks Damian, I can't find them on your site separately, only seems to be part of a package deal with the springs and front shocks too.
Is this correct?

Thanks Damian, I can't find them on your site separately, only seems to be part of a package deal with the springs and front shocks too.
Is this correct?

Yes but if you wanted just the rears we could do that for you.

Drop me a PM if you're interested and I can get an individual price for you.

Damian @ DPM Performance

Just an update for anyone looking at new shocks, Going for the Bilsten B8's which give lowering and performance, reported to be allot harder than stock but benefiting from no lurching in corners + smooth lane changing (I definately feel this lurch currently on FK's and more so when I was on OEM's especially crossing the lines to overtake)
Will buy on Friday, fit and let them bed in a few weeks and give a little update on how they are for any one interested :)

Reactions: philbell and xpoweruk
very late update, but only got these on a week ago so let them bed a little and a few long drives since(new topmounts too). as I said I would, am posting how I have found them.

Now the FK ones removed from the car was completely shot, one didnt return if you compress it, the other took in excess of 30/40 seconds and was still slowly increasing after, and they knocked horribly!..rubbish, so my experience of before is pretty bad. The car is also on air, running Airlift performance bags so the ride lower down is softer.

When these went on, they raised the back up a good 10mm or more from aired out, i no longer tuck rim so these are a little longer than the fk street ones.

Before:
28432181035_6fb97c3a0f_z.jpg

After
27815981773_be97d5ae8d.jpg

The b8 Bilsteins was pricey but promised to be good for lower height cars.

Now at normal driving height, nothing silly low just lower than stock with no arch gap, these feel fantastic! the rear is no longer bouncing, pot holes dont thud through the car, feels nearly like a good solid sline again fresh from the show room, the bags keep these soft and make combined a lovely stiff yet predictalby smooth ride, I imagine on springs these would feel much firmer though, the higher my drive height the firmer the ride (bag logic).

Now when i drive low ride height on the motorway which is most of my driving, i drive almost fully tucked, When I am that low, the ride becomes very bouncy, much bouncier than on the old broken shocks, it is pretty unpleaseant, I feel a little reminiscent of sitting in a bouncy lowered saxo. However the solution is the raise the height a bit and the bouncyness is gone and feels lovely and solid again, not a big deal unless you have a car static silly low this might not be so bad, but if you are scene low and wont raise up, then you might feel dizzy after all the bouncing and these might not be for you.

On the country roads these are night and day, omg what a difference, it feels nice, solid and predictable, i dont feel the constant crashyness any more and it doesnt seem to reduce in performance after a good 10 minutes of heavy windy bend thrashing, my old fks got progressively worse on a hard drive untill being stationary a while.
I was very happy after my spirited country drive.

so over all, these are fab with air, just the right level of firm, with springs probably too solid for me but perfect if you like a sporty ride.
If you are VERY silly low these become bouncy and not very nice, but if you are just low (no arch gap) then these at that height feel perfect :)

@Meemo Sounds perfect for what I need on mine. So have they raised the rear up a little & how much did they set you back ?

Cheapest place I found for Bilstein B8's is German Ebay. They are a good deal cheaper than anywhere you can get them in the UK.

Reactions: rich dj
I got them from @DPM on here for pretty much the same price, at the time £124 each in vat (in 2015).
Dont remember any shipping and delivered really quick :)

they raised my lowest height when aired out, but actually i dont see a huge difference at my normal driving PSI so if you are springs these shouldnt make much of a difference once bedded in, if you are still on standard shocks you should see a drop I would think.

I'll bear that in mind for later on I'll see how the rear shocks perform & maybe I'll swap to these next year. I'm on coilovers btw.