Best 6x9's

audi-a6

Reaction score
I know some people dont like 6x9's due to quality, but i sacrifice quality for volume, for years iv been hooked to vibe, due to them having a high rms in put, currently running black air's 175w max 525w, sadly they blew as i put to much power in them, so, time for upgrade, tempted with vibe black death 6x9's as my subs and amps are vibe, so was trying to keep to same brand, going to put quality in doors, ie focal or something like that....... but back to 6x9's, any one owned a set that stood out if you know what i mean, iv had a set of "the loudest .com" 6x9's (claimed 2000w cough cough bull) I understand that the higher rms the more db, but it seams all i can find is cheap tack..... any one got any input?

Hertz, Infinity and JL Audio all do 6x9's but you'd be far better off with 6.5" components
It's not all about rms rating either, you also need to look at sensitivity. You probably blew the last set by overdriving the amp rather than the speakers. Speakers do not like the square waves produced by a clipping amp

over driving amp??? what do you mean.

The speakers were run by the recommended amp?

Trouble with infinity and jl, is they do not handle a lot of power

Over driving means putting in too much signal, hence clipping a sine wave becomes a virtual square wave having it's top and bottoms clipped by the system.

If you were overdriving inputs to the amp then yes, I never said you were doing it, I was just explaining what overdriving and clipping is.

back in the day, (my day) nothing could touch rockford fosgate, alpine or mb quart!
things have changed i guess, and i am "away" from all of this scene now!
how do these fare up nowadays?

am i right in thinking that the higher sensitivity (db), the louder the speaker

Yes that's right - it's the amount of dB's produced for a given power input measured at a given distance (usually 1w at 1metre), so higher dB's = louder result

okay, so im choosing between, vibe black death qb69's, infinity 96331's and jbl gto939's............ all have similar characteristics, im guessing, for spl would be the jbl's for bass would be the vibes (all though dont need any more bass) and volume would be the infinity's, the highest wattage are the vibes @ 200w rms, 93db if you had to choose one of them, what would you choose and why?

my only worry with the infinity's, is that they are 2ohm, my amp can run @ 2ohm, but increases power to 150w as apose to the 100w at 4 ohm, would that blow them or not? as the inifinitys are 100w rms

As said previously you are far more likely to damage the speakers by underpowering them. If your idea of setting up an amp is to turn the gains to max then yes you will blow the speakers. Hopefully you will be setting up the amp correctly so you won't damage anything. Far better to have a more powerful amp tuned down, than everything maxed out.
Also depends how the speakers are mounted, you can install the best speakers in the world but if they are flapping about in free air then they will sound terrible and blow quite quickly.
Personally I'd go for the Infinitys as you will have plenty of headroom powerwise, don't rate JBL's at all

so with the infinity's, if i kept the gain down, they would be okay...... and loud lol

back in the day Rockfords stuff was unreal then they went all cheapo and died its death for years however ive seen some of their new stuff and it looks like they maybe back on track :). Alpine are ok but carry a huge name everyone knows are think are one of the best. Mb quarts sold out years and years ago and was taken over by maxxsonics who also took over crunch and hifonics and the quality went down hill.

back to the topic I would say say 95% of all speaker/sub failure that came back to me was down to gains being set wrong or the head unit being on full wack all the time. Easy way of putting this is just because your car a has a red line on the gauge it doesn't mean you can keep driving in it all the time without some sort of damage happening. If you want to push the limits of your install then finding somebody with a scope is the way forward :)

Reactions: CHEZ