1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Belt Noise From Engine?

Discussion in 'A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)' started by leeds2592, Mar 27, 2013.

1. leeds2592

leeds2592 When I grow up, I want a 964!

[Mar 27, 2013]
    Hi all,

My A3 (info in sig) has started to make a noise from within the engine bay. It's quite hard to describe but it's a squeeking sort of noise that sounds like a belt and kinda like a turbo, although mine isn't a TFSI. The pitch of the noise increases as the revs get higher.

It's currently on 72,000 miles and is 6 years old so I know the cam belt and water pump need to be changed (getting done after next pay day). Could it be this that's making the noise? I don't want it snapping as I know I'll be pretty much buggered if it does.

I know it's pretty difficult to diagnose without hearing it in person, but any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 18, 2014]

3. NHN

NHN Retrofitter - Audi - VW - Skoda - Seat Site Sponsor VCDS Map User

[Mar 27, 2013]
    Put a 17mm spanner end on the aux belt tensioner raised arm piece & move it so the belt seems a bit tighter, see if the noise goes, then if it makes a difference remove the belt altogether & see when running without if noise goes, if so then its either a belt, tensioner or pulley.