1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Belt Noise From Engine?

Discussion in 'A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)' started by leeds2592, Mar 27, 2013.

1. leeds2592

leeds2592 When I grow up, I want a 964!

Hi all,

My A3 (info in sig) has started to make a noise from within the engine bay. It's quite hard to describe but it's a squeeking sort of noise that sounds like a belt and kinda like a turbo, although mine isn't a TFSI. The pitch of the noise increases as the revs get higher.

It's currently on 72,000 miles and is 6 years old so I know the cam belt and water pump need to be changed (getting done after next pay day). Could it be this that's making the noise? I don't want it snapping as I know I'll be pretty much buggered if it does.

I know it's pretty difficult to diagnose without hearing it in person, but any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. NHN

NHN Retrofitter - Audi - VW - Skoda - Seat
    Site Sponsor Gold Supporter VCDS Map User

Put a 17mm spanner end on the aux belt tensioner raised arm piece & move it so the belt seems a bit tighter, see if the noise goes, then if it makes a difference remove the belt altogether & see when running without if noise goes, if so then its either a belt, tensioner or pulley.