Behind RX8

Rev-head

Reaction score
Was coming back from Edinburgh today and when i came up behind this RX8 he seen me and floored it ,boy did i have trouble catching that car i did not relise they were so quick i know that there is constant power with the rotory engine but this thing was silly fast .............whats the spec on this model?

1300 cc I believe..... There is a limited edition I reckon... Nippy, torquey and gutsy little cars.....

yep hop think your right...1300 cc engine turning out 200+ Bhp. A girl at my work bought one from new..... pretty quick but they are very cramped inside!
There is a 192 Bhp version and a 231 Bhp version the latter does 0-60 in 6.1 and tops out at 146mph

Even though it's a 1300cc, they.re Not good on fuel economy I'm told.....

Just looked on RX8 web site 200bhp+ and something like as little as 10 mpg!!!

To give you idea of speed......... we came out of 30 zone and he was trundling he floored it ..i knew what he was upto so i cant say i was not ready for it i was going through the gears upto 6000rpm and that was me keep up with him when i got to 5th i was sitting at 5000rpm and the same in 6th...............private road of course after the 30mph sign

Thats a video of the earlier model RX-7 complete with blower - could be any sort of power!

I have 3 Rx7's /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I heard a story about these RX8's along the lines of once you start them up, you have to wait a certain amount of time before you can switch them back off?? anyone shed any light on this?

[ QUOTE ]
I heard a story about these RX8's along the lines of once you start them up, you have to wait a certain amount of time before you can switch them back off?? anyone shed any light on this?

[/ QUOTE ]

This is true. A relative of mine has a RX8 Hi power. He has had to have Mazda assist ( or RAC ) out on a few occasions because, if you start car up, take it out of garage, turn off, wash car and then try and sart it again.......forget it, the engine has flooded. So once you start it make sure you get it up to full temp before turning off.

Ah now you guyz have moved onto a very technical issue...as you know its a rotary engine, now there are different types of plugs for different kind of rotaries. Warm and Cold. Usually if running colder plugs its easier to flood the car, but for modded engines its better to run cooler plugs. For street use its better to use warm plugs because it reduces flooding. If moving the car around the drive without letting the engine warm up, can flood it. This is because there is too much fuel and not enough spark. Its a n00b thing to do if your not a wankler.

To deflood a rotary is no small task, you have to remove the plugs, clean them, then heat them up on the cooker hob before putting them back into the car. Before putting them into the car you have to remove the big yellow fuse from the fuse box and turn the engine over for about 30 secs with your foot on the gas to let all the excess fuel out of the chambers. After this has been done 3 times (ish) then you can put the plugs back in along with the yellow fuse and turn the car on hopefully firing it up...

& that ladies and gents is how to deflood a rotary /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

rotary emgines fire from three angles, so three lots of spark per revolution isnt it.

the running costs put me off looking at them. oil changes are a must, and a rebuild every 80k or so /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

rotary emgines fire from three angles, so three lots of spark per revolution isnt it.

the running costs put me off looking at them. oil changes are a must, and a rebuild every 80k or so /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

------------------------------------------------------

No, pretty hard to explain without visual aid so /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/book.gifClicky Clicky

& rebuild wise, its dependant on the cars life...warmed up, warmed down...driven hard, pootled along, servicing, mods etc...but the usual is around 60k miles for basic and about 40k-50k for heavy mods

Rixio /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ok.gif

Use oil to go with that Fuel tooo!

However, theres only 1 reallll moving part! Unlike our Hundrerds! Only 3 seals, we have 4 or 6 some have 8...

Amazing engine in my books!

i think the way the build horses is with more rotors, so one rotors capacity is 1.3 litre in the 3 chambers, there are 2 rotor version with some more horses and a huge 4 rotor engine that was famed for winning lemans,, with something like 450hp, the street homologation series were quite special i believe,, not that i'm a big rotorary nerd lol ,, very addictive engine character just spins faster faster faster, genius idea having the engine spin rather than have internals on generic lumps .

what would a std rebuild on an RX-7 cost? is it cheper because of less wearing parts. rebuild on a reciprocating engine spells big numbers usually.
i liked the warning buzzer they had.

Chas

Again rebuilds are dependant on what you want doing to the car or what condition it was in before. If it throws a tip its more expensive than if if its the apex seal loosing coolant. If you want the engine ported with recond turbos new this new that it all adds up.

A standard rebuild is around £2.5k. Now my rebuild has cost me £9.5k because iv had a full rebuild with a large street port, new turbos, solid engine mounts, large downpipe, new twin plate clutch, new flywheel, new injectors, dif brace & 1.5 way lsd etc etc including mapping and dyno.........so it depends how far your willing to go