1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Before & After a respray advice

Discussion in 'Detailing - Sponsored by Slim's Detailing' started by ScottD3, May 9, 2011.

1. ScottD3

ScottD3 I want your faulty electronics
    Supporter

My car is going in to the body shop to get the wings fixed and some other bits.

Is there any advice for pre/post cleaning and polishing?

2. Advert Guest Advertisement

3. drmole

drmole Well-Known Member

not much point in putting ne products on before the respray as they jus be striped off
    after woods make sure the paint has fully hardened before any machine work but applying products by hand should be fine

one other thing i will say is make sure u know every inch of ur car n check out my thread in here on the repair work done to my car by audi main dealer
    hopefully u wont have the same issues i had but if ur in doubt in any way do like i done and get a pro to oversee the work before signing it off

4. CMD

CMD Pointing Forward's!!!!!!!!!

As Darren state you should not apply any products to new paint for a week or so as the paint need's to gas out and harden, washing is fine with a good shampoo.

5. ScottD3

Supporter

Thanks lads, I'll leave it alone for a week or so.

Darren, I like to think I know it very well. I am tempted to go round and get some last minute pics of it clean just in case something bad happens.
    They seem a good body shop recommended by friends and the garage where I take my car (they are next to each other).
    Hopefully it will be ok.

6. drmole

drmole Well-Known Member

i hope it goes well for u mate ive crossed one hurdle with the repairs now its time to fight for the out of pocket expenses due to their neglergence

7. FranA3

FranA3 events moderator
    Regional Rep Gold Supporter Audi A3 Team Brill Red

take them to the cleaners darren

8. ScottD3

Supporter

Just been reading your posts on the bad work.
    I pray to what ever god is out there that mine does not turn out like yours.
    That it shocking for an Audi garage.
    I guess it shows you can't all ways trust the big guys.

At least its almost done now though.
    If mine does turn out like ours at least I know where to go for advice on getting it sorted out. :)

9. drmole

drmole Well-Known Member

exactly mate thas y i posted it up ud never exspect tha kind of work from a main dealer and proves my point who can u trust these days with out pride n joys

hope yours goes well mind post some pics wen she done
    :icon_thumright:

10. johnnythepie

johnnythepie Well-Known Member

That sucks.Trouble is that the stealers outsource most of the work.After my debacle with the tracking issues theres no way id have a stealer toch my car bar servicing (an evil necessity for the warranty/service record).Its down to word of mouth im afraid...im lucky in that locally i know of an absolute belter of a paint shop.My detailing mate uses them for porche bently etc and they are superb.Manhatten motors in Coventry by the way.Best of luck, but before you take it, video it or photo it in detail.

11. drmole

drmole Well-Known Member

nice one mate what are there prices like are they still reasonable taking into account they work on super cars?
    its a fair treck from me but if there reasonable it may be worth the trip if there as good as u say

12. ScottD3

Supporter

Johnny, its getting a good clean this weekend and then loads of photos and videos.
    I'm putting the seat covers on.

13. johnnythepie

johnnythepie Well-Known Member

sorry for the late reply.was replying last night and phone line went dead.Back on now though.Manhattan motors also do non supercars too!And when i need my scratch done that some cu*t did in a car park ill take it there.Ive no idea if they are expensive or not, its the reputation that sells it to me.Ive seen thier work and what ive seen is bang on.If mydetailing mate sends his clients there, then its good enough for me.
    MANHATTAN MOTORS Deals with Car Body Repairs in Coventry
    And Axios, the more pics the better (and note the speedo reading)!!

14. ScottD3

Supporter

I dropped the car at the body shop today.
    Should get it back thursday/friday.

I'm kind of nervous, never given a car to the body shop before. so no idea what to expect.
    I took loads of pictures, checked the miles on the clocks and removed every thing from the car.

Time to see what happens.

15. ScottD3

Supporter

I picked the car up last week and noticed a couple of things thats not 100%.
    there was some tiny little holes with in the paint on the front wing, rear door, rear wing and some orange peel where they joined the paint to the roof.
    Went back to see him and I booked it in again friday coming to correct the defects.

I'm dieing to clean the car and give it some TLC. It would be 2 weeks of no cleaning by friday.

I assume I have to wait another week for the new paint to harden before I can do any thing to the paint again?

16. damo.h

damo.h DVLA Say it's Black

Not sure if this is correct info for applying product, but for new paint we advise outgassing 5 weeks before a wrap can take place otherwise the solvents will eat into the vinyl. I'd give it a few weeks at least just to be on the safe side dude.

17. ScottD3

Supporter

No vinyl rapping going on here but I assume its the same for polishes and waxes?

I'm semi-happy to leave it.
    It really needs a clean though. :)

18. FranA3

FranA3 events moderator
    Regional Rep Gold Supporter Audi A3 Team Brill Red

OCD i have it too lol

19. ScottD3

Supporter

I'm starting to go a bit bad I think I think.
    Since I can't clean my car I've cleaned my cleaning box, reorganised it, cleaned reserve fuel tank and thought about doing the vacuum cleaner again.
    I'm doing nothing saturday apart from going to a wedding in a field on the evening.
    I really need to clean and polish it for that. I can't have a dirty car around other people, Its not right.