1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Becker GP for 8L S3

Discussion in 'In-Car Entertainment' started by dinsdale66, Apr 23, 2009.

1. dinsdale66

dinsdale66 New Member

I've read a lot of posts about the dramas involved in changing head units in the 8L A3/S3 - interference/popping when using the pre-outs.

Does the Becker GP head unit avoid the issues with interference/popping caused by the Bose amp?

Does it really "plug and play" with the Concert (tape head unit) in a 2001 S3? No popping/interference? Do I need any cable adapters etc?

It's pretty expensive (like 4 times the price of an Alpine unit with similar features) but if it works well then I would consider it.
    http://www.soundlabsgroup.com.au/p/Becker-Grand-Prix/Becker Grand Prix

Appreciate any input.
  2. AndyMac

AndyMac Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Yes & yes. the Becker (like Blaupunkt) uses the same wiring harnesses and you don't get the popping issues with the Bose system that you get with pretty much all the other brands. The only adapters you'll need are the aerial amp adapter and blanking plate for the fascia.
    One difference is that the Becker uses the pin for "remote on" for a sub pre-out, so the only mod you need to make to the existing wiring is to chop the "remote on" feed to the Bose amp (pin 6 on the mini ISO connector) and reroute it to pin 5 on the black power ISO. This will turn the Bose amps on/off with the HU.
    That's an extortionate price BTW, surely you'd be better off ordering from Europe and paying the P&P as that unit is only £250 in the UK, probably even cheaper in Germany.
    http://www.sextonsdirect.co.uk/GP7992_becker-grand-prix-7992-cdmp3wma-tuner.html
    I know the Aussie dollar is pretty worthless but didn't realise it was 4 to the pound!
    If you like I'll buy one for you locally and ship it to Oz for a small fee. Gotta be worth it to save $400+
  3. dinsdale66

dinsdale66 New Member

Thanks AndyMac.

Agreed the AU$ price is a rip-off! Will definitely look at o/s if I can't find a more reasonable local price.

I'm still on the fence. A bit more reading and I have discovered:

Becker cannot access mobile phone address book (Alpine does)
    Becker will not charge new iPods (Apline does)

There's always a catch!
  4. AndyMac

Quality sound rather than gimmicks
  5. MickM

MickM Member

Has anyone had issues fitting the Becker unit?

The Becker unit i have will not go far enough back into the HU slot?
  6. AndyMac

Have you removed the glovebox to give you access to the rear. This makes it a lot easier to feed all the cables out the way. The DIN slot on Audi's is a standard DIN size so there's no reason for any aftermarket HU not to fit other than cables getting in the way.