BC Coilovers - Thoughts

Bigjohn_A3

Reaction score
Been looking at these for a while but whats peoples opinions/experiences with them.

Does anyone have any pictures of their a3 with these coilovers fitted.

Will be looking to get some in next month or so

Thanks in advance.
John

My mechanic was looking at AP until he seen mine and it not going low enough, so he ordered the BC kit and it looks like such a nice kit I wish I went for them instead, all fully adjustable even dampening!

I got some Bilstein B14 Coilovers on ebay from a German racing/tuning company for £670 and there fantastic! Way better than the APs I had on but they are a fair bit stiffer!! I much prefer the ride as there not a lot of wallowing over bumps anymore like I got from the APs.
Plus im going through a warranty atm with AP so fingers crossed they sort me out!

I've found a place local to me that can get them for £680ish, i like the idea of them being fully adjustable and they do look well built

Fantastic coilovers! Would recommend them to anyone! Super comfy and very well made. As with all coilovers though make sure they are greased and the threads covered to stop them seizing up over time.

This is them on my A3 on there lowest setting at the front and a bit more room to lower at the rear.

IMG_4645_zps8185e85f.jpg

IMG_4644_zps8690c5e9.jpg

IMG_4639_zps45badc82.jpg

You can spec extra lowering if you buy direct from them and I found them very pleasant to deal with when ordering different spring rates etc.

Reactions: Bigjohn_A3
I have just bought a set of BC racing BR coil overs second hand for £300 in very good nick. The will be replacing my vmaxx coil overs that I have been on for over a year. The ride on the vmaxx is terrible, although they are wound all the way down.
I will update you when I have the BCs fitted.

Something I've always wanted to ask and never understood properly...super comfy compared to other coilovers or comfy compared to a good spring/damper setup?

Comfy compared to other coilovers. It's stiffer naturally to help with handling but to be honest I preferred the ride in my A3 on the BCs than the standard suspension. Firm but very forgiving would be the best way to describe them and miles better than any cheap set of coilovers you can buy. 10/10 would recommend.

The only reason I made the move to air suspension was I couldn't run the car as low as I liked and get over all the speedbumps around my area.

Reactions: Sayam
Thanks for the pictures Veedubnoodle, I have an s-line too how much lower were the BC's fully wound down compared to the stock s-line setup? roughly?

Bentwenty - I'll look forward to your review when you have them fitted, I'm hoping to have mine by the end of March.

Reactions: bentwenty
Shine1

I changed to BC Racing from H&R mainly because they have a set spring rate (and you can request a higher rate from them) rather than progressive springs like most "comfort" coilovers. I've had them on for about 2 years now with no complaints at all. I'm on 19x8.5 ET48

Reactions: bentwenty and Compkiler
Thanks for the pictures Veedubnoodle, I have an s-line too how much lower were the BC's fully wound down compared to the stock s-line setup? roughly?

Roughly I'd say they set it down about 70-80mm lower than stock height. It's hard to say really.

Here's a pic standard vs coilovers...

IMG_4333_zps0b99d008.jpg

IMG_4645_zps8185e85f.jpg

Reactions: pedroV6 and Bigjohn_A3
View attachment 49943
I changed to BC Racing from H&R mainly because they have a set spring rate (and you can request a higher rate from them) rather than progressive springs like most "comfort" coilovers. I've had them on for about 2 years now with no complaints at all. I'm on 19x8.5 ET48

are you using spacers or is this just coilovers and wide 8.5?

Roughly I'd say they set it down about 70-80mm lower than stock height. It's hard to say really.

Here's a pic standard vs coilovers...

IMG_4333_zps0b99d008.jpg

IMG_4645_zps8185e85f.jpg

Looks awesome Veedub...

Out of interest.. what ET & Width are those speedlines? Also what size tyres do you have? as it looks like they sit perfectly..

Looks awesome Veedub...

Out of interest.. what ET & Width are those speedlines? Also what size tyres do you have? as it looks like they sit perfectly..

Thanks Russ. They are 19 x 8.5 ET48 and running 225/35/19 Kumhos.

Got mine yesterday, I bought them second hand for £300, but they are less than a year old according to the stamp on them and are in pretty good nick.
The adjuster knobs for the front dampers were missing, so I rang BC racing UK and ordered a pair for less than £14 delivered.
Although they are in good nick, I stripped them down and rebuilt them with copper slip to prevent seizing.
c1e5f22be573a69b71948200dc22725a.jpg

17ca8d1cbc17fbf810cc75477e61fafb.jpg

Something I noticed is that there is a little sticker on them that says 'Off-road use only'
This seems to me like a legal ****-covering measure, possibly to cover for the fact that they don't seem to be TUV approved?
45bf83962bad0342e2b9bcff8287e99c.jpg

This doesn't bother me, but I think it means they would be an MOT failure if the tester can be bothered to investigate deep enough...

Nice one @bentwenty They are a bargain at that price!

Oh and they definitely won't fail MOT. Mine didn't fail the test 2 years running and our tests in Northern Ireland are done by specific MOT centres (not just a local garage) and they are strict with the testing.

Nice one @bentwenty They are a bargain at that price!

Oh and they definitely won't fail MOT. Mine didn't fail the test 2 years running and our tests in Northern Ireland are done by specific MOT centres (not just a local garage) and they are strict with the testing.
Good stuff!
Still not sure why they are not for road use though.

Pretty sure it's only for countries where you aren't allowed to modify your suspension unless it has passed some sort of test, TUV for example.

Pretty sure it's only for countries where you aren't allowed to modify your suspension unless it has passed some sort of test, TUV for example.
That would make sense!
Got mine fitted now, not sure on how to setup the damping/rebound though. The front is currently set to half way (15 clicks from fully ccw) and the back is currently set to 10 clicks from fully ccw. What have you set yours to?
I have set the preload to 8mm on the front.
For those interested here is a comparison between OEM, Vmaxx and BC racing
de6de074f0f5a1daf3997bf19bf461e4.jpg

Think I had mine set fairly soft when they were on. Maybe 8 on the front and 6 on the back. Play about with them and see what you think feels best :)

Think I had mine set fairly soft when they were on. Maybe 8 on the front and 6 on the back. Play about with them and see what you think feels best :)
Thanks :) I've been fiddling on it for the last few days, settled on softest damping on front a rear. Now trying to setup the preload on the front.

Reactions: Veedubnoodle
Thanks :) I've been fiddling on it for the last few days, settled on softest damping on front a rear. Now trying to setup the preload on the front.

What preload did you go for ?

If you do use some it affects the spring rate thus more damping is needed .

Bentwenty that was a canny bargin, will you post some pics of the car with them fitted, how low have you gone?
Yeah I'm very pleased, especially considering the condition! I'm still not happy with how I have them set up in terms of ride. They are definitely a marked improvement over the Vmaxx though.
In terms of height, they are as low as they are supposed to go. But I could remove the rear spring cups to give me another 15-20mm and wind down the front reload adjusters until the spring is sat on the ride height adjusters for another 10mm if I wanted to. That is how I ran the Vmaxx for over a year.
Its dark out, so my pics aren't great. Also a little side note; if you go have adjustable top mounts, you will need to grind off the top of the strut tower reinforcement and you will need to modify the plastic tray as below to allow easy damper adjustment. (Don't worry about the rust in the pic, it's just the grinding dust rusting away).
fc8a8f533152cf0d3c96f91691979bdd.jpg

Here is how it sat on the Vmaxx and my summer 18s, it's 2mm lower at the front and 15mm lower at the rear on the BC racing.
84784401cd73d804105bd61f273948d8.jpg

This is how it's sits on my winter 16s and the BC racing.
8fb447a6dabf4b3ee7e822183e35f605.jpg

What preload did you go for ?

If you do use some it affects the spring rate thus more damping is needed .
For the moment I am running no preload. I am playing with the damping at the moment, I seem to have settled for the softest setting on the damping for road use.
From my research (and what I remember of hooks law), on a non-progressive spring (which these are, the Vmaxx had progressive springs), the spring rate is not affected by preload. Adding reload simply increases the amount of weight required to initially compress the spring, once that boundary is overcome, it still behaves in the same way with the same spring rate.
In my case I originally set 8mm of preload, on the front I have 7kg/mm springs, so that was 56kg or preload, meaning that 56kg on each side of the car was being applied directly to the wheels all the time instead of through the spring.
That's all well and good in theory, but I still don't understand what adding preload does to handling in practical terms though lol

Looks a lot lower that the vmaxx, Defentily getting some of these
There is only 2mm at the front and 15mm at the rear, most of what you are seeing is probably the tiny 16s lol. I may well drop it lower for the shows in summer ;)
I will get some pics when my 18s are back from polishing.
Here is how the rears sit at the moment
93a80be8e13c32c34e89a14b18eb6da0.jpg

Haha could be, my last a3 was on 16's and i used to get stuck on a plastic pop bottle if one blew across the road.

I'll hopefully have mine either this month or next, really want some now seeing the responses and great reviews

For the moment I am running no preload. I am playing with the damping at the moment, I seem to have settled for the softest setting on the damping for road use.
From my research (and what I remember of hooks law), on a non-progressive spring (which these are, the Vmaxx had progressive springs), the spring rate is not affected by preload. Adding reload simply increases the amount of weight required to initially compress the spring, once that boundary is overcome, it still behaves in the same way with the same spring rate.
In my case I originally set 8mm of preload, on the front I have 7kg/mm springs, so that was 56kg or preload, meaning that 56kg on each side of the car was being applied directly to the wheels all the time instead of through the spring.
That's all well and good in theory, but I still don't understand what adding preload does to handling in practical terms though lol

I'm not buying the preload doesn't affect spring rate , if you compress any vehicle spring it's rate is increased.

That's why corner weight set ups emphasise on preload .

I ran 0 preload from 5 mm , found 0 more comfortable , hence spring rate is changed .

I'm not buying the preload doesn't affect spring rate , if you compress any vehicle spring it's rate is increased.

That's why corner weight set ups emphasise on preload .

I ran 0 preload from 5 mm , found 0 more comfortable , hence spring rate is changed .

If it's a progressive spring,the spring rate will change. Otherwise it stays the same, as counter-intuitive as that seems!
Spring rate is simply the ammount of force required to compress a spring a given distance. As there is a linear relationship between the amount of force applied and the amount of compression (according to Hooks Law, Force = Spring Rate x Spring Displacement), the spring rate will remain the same until it is fully compressed.
I though the same until I stumbled upon this http://www.zoomsquared.com/technical-information/coilover-spring-preload-explained and then it made sense for me.

I forgot to ask, are these the standard drop kits you's have fitted or the extra low kit?
Just rang BC Racing, according to the Part numbers on the springs, they are the normal ones. It is possible the springs have been changed though.
I'm pretty happy with the ride height, I have 7kg/mm front and 6kg/mm rear springs. I'm considering buying 6/5 springs from BC racing as they would be a little more comfortable. According to my calculations, it should also drop it about 19mm more at the front and 20mm at the rear, so there is a small risk I may bottom out the dampers.
The difference between the two is the springs, and the dampers have more travel at the bottom to stop them bottoming out.

I'm also guessing that for a 2010 a3 2.0 tdi sline the strut dia would be 55mm?
I think so, but don't take my word for it.
My 03 8P 3door 2.0 TDi FWD is 55mm strut.
I think the 50mm strut is mostly on the less powerful versions of the 1.9. Could be wrong though

Just checked mine with a vernier, They are 55's. just as well as i ordered them Friday
I'm like a kid waiting for Christmas day now :jump: