BBC WATCHDOG - MONDAY 7.30pm My Fiasco With CARCRAFT

bowfer said:
What are carcraft actually doing wrong that so many of their cars are dodgy though?
I saw the feature on Watchdog too and watched with interest. I once worked for a company that provided computer systems to Carland, who were bought out by CarCraft a couple of years ago (they junked all the systems we spent years working on!!!). Back then they were owned by General Motors (Vauxhall, Chevrolet etc.) and sourced most of their stock from GM's fleet business.

I'm not sure if CarCraft are still able to cream off the best fleet disposals like Carland did but back then their cars weren't bad at all - I bought two for my wife (Polo and Golf which were faultless) and most of our staff also bought from them too with no problems as we got full staff discounts.

However, I do recall seeing a whiteboard in one of the offices at their call centre which had a list of court dates and details for customers they were in dispute with. This ongoing list was never less than ten in length either, so from the 20,000 cars they sold each year, especially given that they are second-hand, you are going to see some crap go through.

But well done Mat - it goes to show if you persevere enough, you can get a result!

Just saw the programme on bbc i player, and I must say that I am amazed how companies can treat customers like that with contempt. The thing that makes it even worse is that its not even back street garages but a very reputable car supermarket. I was also shocked to hear about the guy who paid £1200-1300 for a warranty on his a4 which isnt worth the paper its written on.

I guess the old addage "Buyer Beware" applies wherever you buy.

Just saw the programme on bbc i player, and I must say that I am amazed how companies can treat customers like that with contempt. The thing that makes it even worse is that its not even back street garages but a very reputable car supermarket. I was also shocked to hear about the guy who paid £1200-1300 for a warranty on his a4 which isnt worth the paper its written on.

I guess the old addage "Buyer Beware" applies wherever you buy.

The extended warranty is £1300 and it "covers" the electrical systems which is not covered by the standard 2yr warranty.

I took out the 4yr warranty but i later cancelled it as that is also financed at a rate of 19.7% over 48 months!

On top of that regardless of the service history you must have the car serviced within 6 months or 6000 miles from purchase which IMO is pointless

Its all a rip off really....

Oh, didn't make Audi look too clever either, did it....
An A3 and an A4 in the same article...
Oh dear.:wtf:

Yeah, I thought that too... and the A4 looks identical to mine (the wheels are slightly different though)

The A4 thing was even more annoying than the A3 one.
"it even broke down on the way to meet us", they said.
Yeah, but broke down how, exactly?!?!?
Even some detail would have been nice.