Battery went dead, key fob doesn't work, Christmas tree on dash?

Dylan Johnson

Test123
Reaction score
So on my 2.0tdi (2005 sportback) the battery went flat (although i wasn't there when this happened, my brother was using the car and let it sit for a few week) and when it was jumpstarted all hell broke loose...
These lights are now on:
Traction Control,
Engine Managment,
ABS (yellow)
Power Steering (yellow).

I drove roughly 3miles and none of the lights went off.

Anyone have a clue?

EDIT: Not sure if this is relavent but car has 100k on it and has one of the best service historys ive seen with Audi longlife service every year etc...

EDIT 2: Prior to this happening ive been told I need a brake disc on the front and on the back and a Wheel Bearing on offside front (noticeably loud), could this be causing ABS and/or Power Steering light?

Last edited:
Turn the wheels to the lock position both ways and see if that helps. Traction control and power steering are normal after a battery disconnect and they need to be calibrated by turning the wheels

Turn the wheels to the lock position both ways and see if that helps. Traction control and power steering are normal after a battery disconnect and they need to be calibrated by turning the wheels
I thought I read something like this a few month ago, will give it a go tomorrow. Thanks!

Had similar issues after picking up my S7 from an extended airport parking stay. (Flat battery, jump started by car park staff)

Solved everything by using VCDS to clear all the fault codes.

Reactions: Dylan Johnson
Had similar issues after picking up my S7 from an extended airport parking stay. (Flat battery, jump started by car park staff)

Solved everything by using VCDS to clear all the fault codes.

Probably going to get hate saying this. Will VCDS-lite work with a cheap ebay OBD2 cable?

Probably going to get hate saying this. Will VCDS-lite work with a cheap ebay OBD2 cable?

No.

There are electronics in the OEM cable that are used to activate the software licence on VCDS.

You can check the VDCS user map (tab, top of page) or shout out for anyone near you. Most members who have VCDS will assist at minimum cost (petrol, beer etc)

There are other tools out there similar to VDCS - OBDEleven is popular - but l don't use it so willlet others comment.

Last edited:
EDIT 2: Prior to this happening ive been told I need a brake disc on the front and on the back and a Wheel Bearing on offside front (noticeably loud), could this be causing ABS and/or Power Steering light?[/QUOTE][/QUOTE]

They won't affect the warning lights. I don't like the idea of "A brake disc needs replacing" Change both front and back in pairs and whilst your at it, new pads all round. The one noisy wheel bearing is ok to change singularly.

The warning lamps will all go out eventually.

Last edited:
EDIT 2: Prior to this happening ive been told I need a brake disc on the front and on the back and a Wheel Bearing on offside front (noticeably loud), could this be causing ABS and/or Power Steering light?

I don't like the idea of "A brake disc needs replacing" Change both front and back in pairs and whilst your at it

Yeah I worded it badly there, 4 new brake discs are already on order!

I found the problem!!

Plugged into the computer I got an ABS fault "Front right speed sensor -G45 || 012 Electrical Fault In Circuit".
Was told the ABS light was causing the Traction Control light which could be causing the Power Steering light...

If anyone has any input on this id appreciate it.

I found the problem!!

Plugged into the computer I got an ABS fault "Front right speed sensor -G45 || 012 Electrical Fault In Circuit".
Was told the ABS light was causing the Traction Control light which could be causing the Power Steering light...

If anyone has any input on this id appreciate it.

ABS and ESP work together so that is very likely true for the ABS and traction control light,
however I dont think that should cause the power steering light too:blink:
Does the steering feel normal and have you tried the locking to each side yet?

ABS and ESP work together so that is very likely true for the ABS and traction control light,
however I dont think that should cause the power steering light too:blink:
Does the steering feel normal and have you tried the locking to each side yet?

Yeah Im pretty certain once I fit the new Speed Sensor and the ABS stops throwing a code the ESP will go off too.

As for the locking the steering wheel, I tried. I tried locking it both sides (a few times, including holding it for some seconds) whilse the car was still, that didnt work so I done a quick 3 point turn while locking the wheel each time and no luck :frown:

Yeah Im pretty certain once I fit the new Speed Sensor and the ABS stops throwing a code the ESP will go off too.

As for the locking the steering wheel, I tried. I tried locking it both sides (a few times, including holding it for some seconds) whilse the car was still, that didnt work so I done a quick 3 point turn while locking the wheel each time and no luck :frown:

Hmm probably something else causing that then. Usually it goes off after doing it once or driving for a bit after reconnecting the battery. Hopefully its the ABS sensor causing that too then. I don't think I've ever seen abs sensor do that but anything is possible with audis I guess :playful:

Hmm probably something else causing that then. Usually it goes off after doing it once or driving for a bit after reconnecting the battery. Hopefully its the ABS sensor causing that too then. I don't think I've ever seen abs sensor do that but anything is possible with audis I guess :playful:

Thanks for your help, do you know if I replace the sensor will the car detect its working again and remove the light itself or will it need to be reset via vagcom?

Thanks for your help, do you know if I replace the sensor will the car detect its working again and remove the light itself or will it need to be reset via vagcom?

The fault codes will need to be reset with vagcom or some other code reader after you have replaced the part

or just drive normally for about 100 yards and they will get out of your dash, mine do it.