1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Battery Warning Light

Gavtek Jul 21, 2009

1. Gavtek

Gavtek New Member

Early last month after coming back from a week long business trip, the battery in my A3 1.8T was completely dead so I got it fitted with a new battery and went on a short drive.

I had to go away again on business the next day for a month, and got home at the weekend. When I took the car for a drive, the battery warning light remained on (static, not flashing).

My first thought was that the alternator must be goosed, but wondered if the battery change could possibly have something to do with the warning light instead? Has anyone experienced anything similar?

Cheers

2. Dansmith

Dansmith Member

Did it start first time? if so I just had my battery changed in my s3, I had to have the ECU re-set! I think you will need a VAG com mate!

If it didn't start then alternator is the next port of call!

3. Bignick

Bignick Member

I've never had to re set anything apart from the windows when taking the batery out.

4. Boro&Beth

Boro&Beth Member

Sounds very much like alternator. Easily tested with a volt meter. Run the engine and look for 11-12v(ish) across the two terminals.

5. Gavtek

Gavtek New Member

Yep, pretty sure it's the alternator now, got hold of a volt meter last night and that confirmed it for me.