1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Battery voltage

Discussion in 'General Automotive Chat' started by shamrock, Dec 9, 2010.

1. shamrock

shamrock Member

I am going tomorrow to the garage for a tune up. My battery is three years old and I am heading into a cold winter. I want them to check the battery voltage to make sure it is ok. What should it read? I don't want them to try and sell me a battery if I don't need it.

2. Advert Guest Advertisement

3. PH1L

PH1L Gievf Buckets
    VCDS Map User

12v ideally

4. Staz

Staz is a retronaut
    Staff Member Moderator VCDS Map User

The battery voltage itself is somewhat irrelevant, what's important is how much charge is stored in the battery and this can't really be tested fully. The best way to test the serviceability of a battery is using what's called a 'drop tester' which puts the battery under load whilst checking the voltage to see if the 12Vs can be sustained.

Even this is reasonably pointless as just by starting the engine you're going to get equivalent results. If your car starts okay each time, even after leaving it for a few days, then it’s serviceable.

5. fingermouse

fingermouse thats me

as staz said. You can test the voltage of a battery that seems flat and it can still give 12v