1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Battery Removal

Discussion in 'A4/A4 cabriolet/S4 forum(B6 chassis)' started by redspudder, Jul 22, 2009.

1. redspudder

redspudder Sparky

Cheers for all the help fellas regarding the rusty colour under my car it seems that the problem may well be the drain plug under my battery.I have just been out to try and remove the battery but cant get it out, disconnected it but it wont shift and cant see any fixing postions can any one shed any light, diagrams(hoping James comes up trumps!!)

I also notice my battery is leaking, signs of acid deposits around the area so im going to have to change my battery anyway.

Any help greatful
    this is turning into a nightmare!
  2. quattrojames

quattrojames Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Lol no pressure then!

Two guides I have found:

1)

Tools: 6mm hex socket, 10mm spanner, 3/8" extension bar for hex socket, large flat spanner.

Teh battery is held in a by a 6mm hex bolt, its at the front of the battery in the middle, between the battery and the bulkhead. there is a strut cross brace above this nut preventing clear access, it does have a recess in it for a tool, but the remaining gap is still too tight for the largest part of a 6mm hex socket!!

1. remove rubber strip over bulk head
    2. Pull leaf shield forward and up to access battery.
    3. undo battery terminals (10mm spanner)
    4. undo 2x 6mm hex bolts holding cross brace to chassis on passenger side. this gives a little more play to get the socket to the hex bolt
    use the large spanner to GENTLY ease the bulkhead forward as you insert the extension bar and 6mm hex socket.
    the rest is plain sailing,
    5. If you have the same battery as me get a friend to help lift the old one out and insert the new one, its HEAVY!
    On start up the ABS/TCS warning light may come on, thihs should reset itself within a mile or so.
    the fuel sender may go a bit mad as well, undo battery terminal and leave for 10 mins then re fix.
    Sorry no pics it was 9.20 at night and dark and wet!!

AND

2)

1. Remove battery cover
    2. Remove plastic cowling covering bulkhead area...slides out with a but of a pull.
    3. Disconnect terminals.
    4. Disconnect gas valve/tube thing
    5. Remove 2 x 6mm socket head bolts to the right of the battery holding metal cross member in place.
    6. Remove 1 x 6mm socket head bolt from engine bay side located near to the left hand edge of the battery, which bolts into same cross member...you can see the tip of it if you look at the cross member from left hand side of battery.
    7. With a light in your mouth, long screwdriver/brace in your right hand and very long Allen key in your left whilst looking down the very narrow space between the battery and the 2nd bulkhead (towards the front of the car).....prise the cross member towards the battery (it only moves 3 or 4 mm) revealing half of the 6mm socket head battery retaining bolt...wiggle Allen key down gap and undo....it is a long bolt so keep turning...and slacken.
    8. Tilt battery towards front of car and slide up and out.
    9. Steps in reverse order to refit remembering to attached positive terminal first (why?) and plug left hand gas release valve with little red plug attached to positive battery terminal cover of new battery.

:thumbsup:
  3. redspudder

redspudder Sparky

Cheers James i knew you would come up trumps :thumbsup::applaus:

I managed to find something on the net for the removal of the battery.
    What a nightmare it is to get the battery out,the 6mm hex head bolt is almost unreachable not much room at all could only get half turn at a time with the allen key!:wtf:

Anyway got the battery out and battery seat plate out and found the rubber bung on the drain hole no apparent blockage but cleaned out anyway,I was very concerned by the state of the bodywork under the battery not sure if its the norm but there was quite a bit of corrosion around the area i cleaned up the best i could and set about re-fitting everything,i really hope it's done the trick as i dont fancy taking the battery out again,im not sure if the bolt head has sheared or the thread is U/S as once the bolt was tight it just seemed to keep turning as if ive sheered the head,i gave the battery a good old tug and it seemed to be tight but not 100%.Im now considering looking round for new motor as it seems to be one thing after another at the moment i really love the car had it a year on Saturday but if its gona start costing me then could be time to get rid:blownose:

But im sure the Wife will have something to say on that matter:no:
  4. quattrojames

quattrojames Moderator Staff Member Moderator

I've never done it, but I do remember evilscotsman (where is he? :bye:) saying you would need to be Geoff Capes to lift a battery out with both feet standing on the ground!

Ref your original rusty water problem, do you have a sunroof? They have drain holes which block too. Sounds like the drain hole must be blocked if the area was that messy :( Did you test the drain hole was running ok before you replaced the battery?
  5. redspudder

redspudder Sparky

I dont have a sunroof.

I didnt test the drain hole as i did it on my dinner half hour except it took my an hour my boss wasnt to impressed!

And yes the battery is bloody heavy :weight_lift2: infact i think ive put my back out doing it!