1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

battery light flashed on.

Discussion in 'A4/A4 cabriolet/S4 forum(B6 chassis)' started by S111 NSN, Nov 11, 2012.

1. S111 NSN

S111 NSN New Member

[Nov 11, 2012]
    Hi everyone,
    I was giving my 2.5tdi a clear out yesterday and at around 4200 rpm in (3rd i think) the battery light, lite up for a split second.
    Has anyone else had this? or does anyone know why this would happen?
  2. Ads

Ads

[Oct 21, 2014]

3. Mike.M

Mike.M Well-Known Member

[Nov 12, 2012]
    Check the battery terminals and also the output of the alternator..........otherwise never had it happen to me
  4. swarcup

swarcup Well-Known Member

[Nov 12, 2012]
    Possibly the belt that drives the alternator maybe Slipped
  5. marktdisport

marktdisport Active Member

[Nov 12, 2012]
    Check the alternator pulley mine was nearly in 2 pieces lol....
  6. adamss24

adamss24 Well-Known Member

[Nov 13, 2012]
    The v6 tdi has a solid pulley, does not have a one way clutch like the pd engine. I suspect the brushes are worn on your alternator or a diode is on it's way out. I strongly hope that your aux. belt tensioner is in good condition and the bushes are not worn, otherwise it's a front off job to repair. When the bushes wear trough (they are 1mm thick) the aluminium bracket wears very fast and requires a new cast bracket (doubles as PAS and A/C bracket) which is a pain to replace as it requires oil cooler removal- messy and tricky due to lack of room !
    Easy to see if the bracket is worn, when the plastic damping cover/noise insulation is removed the belt running on the aux. tensioner will run close to the edge and cuts into the plastic/melting it ! TPS keeps parts in stock as it's a common failure...