Battery charging issues

Dee11

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Wondering if anyone can help?

I have a 2002 A3 1.9tdi Quattro.
The alternator is not charging my battery, I've changed the alternator and battery but with no luck.
when the car is running I only get 11.6volts across my battery.
I have checked the excite wire (I think thats what its called) and I get the same voltage as my battery from it.
I did notice that my battery light on the dash doesn't come on when I turn my ignition to the on position could this be my problem the alternator is not getting told to charge the battery?
I also try to ground the excite wire to see if this would put the battery light on but it doesn't

any help or advise would be ace

cheers

Duff alternator maybe, it does happen, especially if it's a recon, they are £98 from eurocarparts, don't forget the extra5 promo code to get 5% extra off.

Thanks for your replay ayfreetee
I'm pretty sure the alternator I put on was working it was a spare I had and a new battery.
I checked the wiring loom last night and seemed ok and I charged my battery right up to 12.5 volts and checked the load/excite wire reading which gave me 11.58 volts. Does anyone know if it needs to be 12 volts through the load/excite wire?
I have read that my battery light should come on when ignition on to send voltage to the alternator to tell it to charge but not sure if that comes from the cluster saying ok on start?
Not good with wiring it's all voodoo!

Thanks again