1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Basic tasks to boost black paintwork....Advice please

Discussion in 'Detailing - Sponsored by Slim's Detailing' started by DALE_AVANT, Feb 20, 2012.

1. DALE_AVANT

DALE_AVANT Avantage

[Feb 20, 2012]
    Hi all.

Advice please on showing some attention to the bodywork on my Brilliant Black (solid paint) A4 Avant B6. I do not intend to spend days and days on it, but will happily give it a day, maybe a weekend. I usually wash the car once a week with general car shampoo.

The paint looks in pretty good condition overall, with the usual scuffs etc. Also, the N/S laquer seems a little hazy.

My plan is as follows, please feel free to advise:

1 - Wash, rinse, and shammy the car in the usual way.
    2 - Clay bar the car (this will be a first for me). Autoglym clay bar?.
    3 - Re-wash, rinse, and shammy.
    4 - Autoglym paint renovator as required, especially on hazy areas.
    5 - Re-wash, rinse, and shammy to remove any residues etc.
    6 - Polish car with Autoglym Super Resin Polish.

7- Will probably re-polish with Autoglym super resin polish once a month or so.

Also, has anybody managed to find a remedy for boosting the chrome trim and aluminium roof rails?

Thanks in advance!
  2. willowsdad

willowsdad Sideways

[Feb 20, 2012]
    The guide on dark solid paint in this section tells you all you need to know, with a step by step guide. I'd bin the chamois leather and get yourself a drying towel, as the leather can trap grit and cause swirls and minor scratches. Not sure there's any need for the third wash either it'll just take longer. I haven't used it but poorboys black hole is supposed to be good for filling minor swirls, and sounds like a good product for you. The clay might take care of the hazy lacquer or it might just polish out. When you do it post up some before and after shots.
  3. DJM1982

DJM1982 Member

[Feb 20, 2012]
    Agree with the above. No need for the 3rd wash.

I have a black A4 and when giving it a full detail fully the following process:
    Wash using two bucket method
    Tar remover and ironX
    Rinse
    Clay
    Wash again using two bucket method.
    Dry using Drying towel and microfibre cloths (this gives me a good base to start any polishing)

I now machine polish using Menzera products but for a hand polish the Autoglym SRP is a good choice. Its a good all round polish that fills in minor swirls and is very easy to apply and remove. Apply with a foam applicator pad and remove with a microfibre cloth.

Then you should really apply a wax or sealant as claying will remove any layers of wax already on the car.
    I use wax, and DoDo Juice Blue velvet is perfect for black cars and the results are amazing.

here's a couple of pic'd of mine after blue velvet wax was applied:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  4. williams

williams Member

[Feb 21, 2012]
    just seen your car on detailing world nice;)