1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

basic polisher

Discussion in 'Detailing - Sponsored by Slim's Detailing' started by tracer, Sep 29, 2006.

1. tracer

tracer '96 a4 1.8 se

[Sep 29, 2006]
    hi all, need some advice,

i have gotten a hold of an old black n decker random orbital sander. i have converted it so that it has variable speed control as it was a bit beastly at first being a single speed of 10,000 osc/min.

next job i guess is to replace the pad holder, will just any fit? had a look on cleanandshiney.co.uk but no pictures or details on fitting. i have emailed them but no reply as yet.

do the pad holders have a standard hole, so i can do a straight swap, or do they have a fitment ready for a specific polisher like meguiars own one for example.

anyone got some of the lake country range?

http://www.cleanandshiny.co.uk/Details.asp?objecttradersearch=1&GroupID=5024

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. dickys3

dickys3 Moderator Staff Member Moderator

[Sep 29, 2006]
  3. tracer

tracer '96 a4 1.8 se

[Sep 29, 2006]
    cheers mate, will do, site seems to be down just now but will have a look by over weekend, thanks for the link
  4. Broken Byzan

Broken Byzan Photographic Moderator Staff Member Moderator VCDS Map User

[Sep 29, 2006]
    There will be no pad swap, but you should be able to get velcro mount pads to suit it

HTH
  5. rich1068

rich1068 Member

[Sep 29, 2006]
    :faint: How much do I not like that plastic guard/overhang! Careful tracer.
  6. tracer

tracer '96 a4 1.8 se

[Sep 30, 2006]
    [​IMG]

it just unclips mate, but yeah i'm gonna be overly careful with it in general

still hoping to get a pad mount to give it a bit more space but like mark said i may just have to go with a close matching velcro pad to suit.
  7. tracer

tracer '96 a4 1.8 se

[Oct 10, 2006]
    quick update guys, got a backing plate and a selection of pads from http://www.polishedbliss.co.uk/

had to tap out the hole to accomodate the new backing plate, fits perfectly now. also gonna remove the dust extraction panel , again this just clips off so i'l just have to cover up the gap it leaves behind and then its ready for action

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  8. Neil_S

Neil_S Member

[Oct 11, 2006]
    It will be interesting to see how you get on with the polishing. In my experience of using a random orbital polisher on my A4, I needed to use small 4 inch spot pads to get anywhere.

I found a rotary polisher much more suited to the very hard Audi paint.