1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bash's Stealth Sub

Discussion in 'In-Car Entertainment' started by Bash_A3, Apr 16, 2007.

1. Bash_A3

Bash_A3 Member

[Apr 16, 2007]
    Well I finally got around to making it, took most of a day but i'm happy with the result. A massive thank you to AndyMac for his VERY informative PDF's... saved me alot of time with wiring and he is a legend for supplying all his info to the community.

My aim was to make a stealth box to fit the 8" Square Kicker Sub, i'm no carpenter but have dabbled with MDF before... i didnt think doing a curved box like Andy's was within my skill range so i've gone for a more angular approach.

One pitfall is access to the rear lights is now limited (i.e none!) also I need to make a upper panel which will not foul the sub. Its a tight fit & needs some adjusting but comments welcome!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  2. Ads

Ads

[Dec 21, 2014]

3. ChriS3

ChriS3 hud at ye bam

[Apr 16, 2007]
    Good job, nice to see someone taking a different approach to it all. How does it sound?
  4. dualmono21

dualmono21 Well-Known Member

[Apr 17, 2007]
    whats the internal volume of the box ???
  5. Bash_A3

Bash_A3 Member

[Apr 17, 2007]
    i've no idea how it sounds yet, by the end of Sunday I was so exhausted I didnt have the energy to screw the amps down & plug them in. I'll probably hold on til the weekend so i can tune it up properly.

the volume is tricky to work out due to the shape but i'm sure its above the minimum recommended sealed enlcosure for this sub which is 0.33 cubic ft. The max rec sealed is 0.75 cubic ft. I'll measure it up soon out of curiosity.
  6. Bash_A3

Bash_A3 Member

[Apr 17, 2007]
    Worked out the volume, 0.331 Ft3

not ideal but pretty close! I'll have a feel around it to see if theres anyway of expanding deeper.

7. [Dave B]

[Dave B] Daddy

[Apr 17, 2007]
    Looks good!

Is there enough room for the throw to clear plastic trim? Looks pretty tight!
  8. Bash_A3

Bash_A3 Member

[Apr 17, 2007]
    you are right its very tight! the top is clear but the bottom needs to sink in further or I need to wedge the panel away slightly - it only has 2cm clear from the rubber surround. When its running i'll see how long the excursion is then start adjusting :)

I'm also thinking about picking up a spare rear trim section from another A3 so I can cut off the lip and make a custom netting over the top section.
  9. AndyMac

AndyMac Moderator Staff Member Moderator

[Apr 17, 2007]
    Can I pass over manufacturing duties to you now Bash?
    That will sound excellent, well done!
  10. Bash_A3

Bash_A3 Member

[Apr 17, 2007]
    hehe no way Andy, i felt like i'd died of heat exhaustion by the end of the weekend! I think your boxes are far more pratical if only for the access to the rear lights, I can see how it took u lots of prototypes to get the perfect fit around the arch... its a real pain in that corner with the seam & other bits sticking out.

another pitfall is these subs are pretty in-efficient so i'll probably be mounting the main amp to the boot floor as i'm worried about it overheating. Its a 1000w Kenwood amp with fan + I've another smaller Kenwood amp for the corners.

I cant wait to hear it now :)