Barclaycard Direct / Direct Line - Modifications

Dylarolla

Reaction score
I recall a previous post mentioning that Barclaycard Direct and Direct line were pretty good for modified car insurance. Can anyone give me any personal experience on either insurer and what they cover, as well as how much the premium is affected by the modifications.

I spoke with Barclaycard but they said that they wouldn't be able to provide me with any figures until I actually take out the insurance, which is a bit of a faff.

Currently I am with Elephant.co.uk who's basic insurance cover is relatively cheap but for a remap, for example, my insurance is nearly 100% more!

If anyone knows of any other insurers who are good for mods, please pipe up.

Ta

I used to be with Direct Line and they covered my mods - approx £125 for a remap, but they also wanted silly money for the RS TT factory wheels on my car (£200!)

Plus they required a tracker be fitted

I left them as they would not provide track day cover (which I believe Barclaycard will not supply for NEW policies - they do for current policy holders)

Anyway, I am now with Greenlight Insurance - very mod friendly plus track day cover.

http://www.greenlightinsurance.com/

Dunc

I've been quoted an extra £50 by Barclaycard for a remap and stainless exhaust.Have not had it done yet but extra premium was based on expected bhp increase.They were cheaper than my previous insurer anyway.

re engine mods - it normally works in percentages, ie 0-10%, 10-20% etc - most remaps circa 260bhp work out at 15% on a 225 engine.

Insurers are different for everybody - Adrian Flux wouldnt even insure a remapped S3 for me, and they advertise themselves as the modification kings of insurance.

Dunc

Absolutely but this is my problem. I have a 210BHP S3 and there have been some threads about power gains with some chip enhancers of up to and beyond 270BHP.

With a 25% increase I am covered to just over 262 but this is a bit too close for my liking. I don't want to even be close to jeopardising my insurance and that's why I need 30% protection.

Piece of mind shall we say.

No-one with anything else to add?

Has no-one else had Barclaycard Direct insurance?
No-one?
Bueller?

Ta Al B.

The reason I keep harping on about Barclaycard Direct is that they have a price promise to undercut your current insurer on renewal and I've heard they are mod friendly. My hope is that they will base any increase of premium for a modification on a percentage of the standard insurance.

My current insurer is Elephant and they are the cheapest for me by some margin for unmodified insurance so I'm reluctant to change insurer but unfortunately they aren't particularly mod friendly and I'm desperate to sweeten up my 4 wheeled beatuy. They cover quite a few mods but
a) they are expensive, and
b) if it isn't on the list they won't insure you at all, however minor the modification.

As an example, if I get a chip remap and the turbo hose collapses, therefore requiring replacement with a more robust hose (E.g. Samco), they won't cover it! Similarly they won't cover me with a Forge DV. It's very frustrating.

As for the map itself, as I've already stated in a previous post it pretty much doubles my insurance.

So, in summary, I was thinking of using Barclaycard for their price promise to undercut my next Elephant.co.uk quote and then modifying the car without it costing the earth, and resulting in me being totally covered. Piece of mind and all that.

What do you reckon to that people?

[ QUOTE ]
Dylarolla said:
Ta Al B.

The reason I keep harping on about Barclaycard Direct is that they have a price promise to undercut your current insurer on renewal and I've heard they are mod friendly. My hope is that they will base any increase of premium for a modification on a percentage of the standard insurance.

My current insurer is Elephant and they are the cheapest for me by some margin for unmodified insurance so I'm reluctant to change insurer but unfortunately they aren't particularly mod friendly and I'm desperate to sweeten up my 4 wheeled beatuy. They cover quite a few mods but
a) they are expensive, and
b) if it isn't on the list they won't insure you at all, however minor the modification.

As an example, if I get a chip remap and the turbo hose collapses, therefore requiring replacement with a more robust hose (E.g. Samco), they won't cover it! Similarly they won't cover me with a Forge DV. It's very frustrating.

As for the map itself, as I've already stated in a previous post it pretty much doubles my insurance.

So, in summary, I was thinking of using Barclaycard for their price promise to undercut my next Elephant.co.uk quote and then modifying the car without it costing the earth, and resulting in me being totally covered. Piece of mind and all that.

What do you reckon to that people?

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats exactly wot i am planning on doing... cos u know that you renewal will be beaten, and u know that it will be cheaper than current insurers mod prices... (like £220 for a set of Fecking wheels!!!!)

Dylarolla, you can argue that somelike a dump valve and hoses are part of the upgrade.

When I declared my chipped A4 to the AA I told them the DV was changed and that it was required as part of the chipping, which for all purposes it is.

Might be worth a shot. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Dylarolla said:
Incidentally, regarding the issue of improving HP with intake hoses you might want to take a butcher's at this thread:

http://www.tt-forum.co.uk/ttforumbbs/YaBB.pl?board=WebTTForum;action=display;num=1054141523;start=0

[/ QUOTE ]

Dylarolla, that's the first time I've heard that, I stand corrected. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/angel.gif Didn't think you could get that sort of improvement just by changing a pipe, that's quite impressive. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Mark R said:
[ QUOTE ]
Dylarolla said:
Incidentally, regarding the issue of improving HP with intake hoses you might want to take a butcher's at this thread:

http://www.tt-forum.co.uk/ttforumbbs/YaBB.pl?board=WebTTForum;action=display;num=1054141523;start=0

[/ QUOTE ]

Dylarolla, that's the first time I've heard that, I stand corrected. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/angel.gif Didn't think you could get that sort of improvement just by changing a pipe, that's quite impressive. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Not meaing to hikacl the thread, but will the samco intake fit a 1.8T a3 (AGU code - K03)

Rich

No, sorry Rich, I won't.

But, Forge / Samco do do a 1.8T inlet hose for the Golf 4 / A3 with a K03 turbo...I assume you'll find it on Forge's site.

The hose for the K03 replaces the turbo inlet hose and turbo metal inlet pipe, if I remember correctly....whereas the K04 is of a larger bore and replaces the inlet hose only as this mounts directly onto the turbo on a K04.

There are a lot of folks in the US over on VWVortex using it...so it seems as if it's just as good a tweek for a K03'd car as it is a K04'd car.

In saying that...the article on the TT Forum was mainly talking about gains measured on the VAG Com...I personally would like to see before and after genuine rolling road plots before I would be willing to accept the sort of gains some people are claiming...because in my expreience, the torque / HP graphs the VAG Com can produce are not accurate.

Cheers glen!

Would be good to see some proper plots!

Any ideas if the Golf version is for the K03 or K03S?

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Rich

Ignore that... its not suitable for AGU code engines /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif