1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Banging noise when i stalled!!!

Discussion in 'A4/A4 cabriolet/S4 forum(B6 chassis)' started by BGB, Mar 31, 2013.

1. BGB

BGB New Member

[Mar 31, 2013]
    Hi,

Been a member in the wings for a while reading the how to's etc. Thanks for all the info, ive fixed alot of little issues with guides from here.

Alas now im in need of more advice. :(

Ive had my avant for about 2 months and yesterday was the first time i stalled it. There was an almighty bang when i lifted the clutch up and i actually thought id dropped the front wheel into a massive pot hole! It turns out i hadnt and the noise had come from the stall. My first thoughts were it was a gearbox issue, but the gear change etc is all as smooth as a 10 year old car on 108K would be expected to be.

So i think its my engine mounts now as i got the wife to stall it while i watched from the side. When she did the engine moved backwards and the noise was horrendus!!! :(

Ive read about the electric engine mounts and how they can fail. Is there anyway to replace these my self?

Can anyone offer anymore advice?

Thank you in advance.

Matt
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 21, 2014]

3. stu_m

stu_m Active Member VCDS Map User

[Mar 31, 2013]
    yup its the mounts

not got any tips on replacement though
  4. Dan TheMan Welburn

Dan TheMan Welburn Member

[Mar 31, 2013]
    Most likely culprit will be the rear engine/gearbox mount, mine was knackered when I bought my a4 cost roughly £65 for a replacement from TPS and I paid a mechanic friend of mine £30 to fit it
  5. stu_m

stu_m Active Member VCDS Map User

[Mar 31, 2013]
    theres s few of us who have had the problem including me and its always been the engine mounts
  6. BGB

BGB New Member

[Apr 1, 2013]
    Than you gents,

Something for me to try and sort this week then. :)
  7. BGB

BGB New Member

[Apr 3, 2013]
    Ok, one more question.

Anyone recommend a specific brand? OEM? Ebay used items?

Sorry, i know its an annoying question but im used to dealing with land rovers, and i know what manufacturers to avoid.

Thanks again