Banging noise comming from near side.

Murf

Reaction score
Can anyone help me, i got an audi a3 1998 and theres a banging noise comming from the near side. Sounds like somethings banging on the underneath the car.

Thanks

More than likely a drop link. Thats the most common cause of a knocking nowadays. This is BY FAR the most common suspension item I renew at work for this problem.
Not ruling out other things, just that in my experience, they are the main culprit.

jack the front wheel up, get under the car (making sure you're safe with axle stands or the like, obviously) and grab hold of the antiroll bar and push it up and down, if a drop link ball joint is worn, you'll feel and hear the play. Do the same on the other side to check that one.

Last edited:
was just reading all the recipts that came with the car and i found the last MOT advisory says Near side suspension arm rubber deteriorated, near side outer track rod end join cover missing. Guessing all that counts for the noises. Can you buy them in ones or do i need to buy them for both sides?

Cheers

Yea, could well do mate. Best to get it into a garage and up on a ramp really. If you're anywhere near Northumberland I could check it out for you.

Things like wishbones, drop links, track rod end ball joints, tie bars etc are just done seperately, its things like shocks, springs, brake discs/pads that should be renewed as pairs.

Thanks mate your a star. One last thing, is there any websites with cheap A3 parts or is it best letting garage get them? Thanks alot.