1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

BANG! what was that?

ricko Dec 16, 2009

1. ricko

ricko Member

right here we go, i was heading on to the motorway when i heard a clunk and something rattle down the underside of the car then it ground to a stop. it sounded like it was tryin to run on three cylinders so turned it ofs quick. anyway got it towed home and found oil coming off the front bumper on the drivers side. anybody got some ideas? i think it could be crank related. :sos:

2. Westy

Westy Well-Known Member

:sign_welcome:

Is it engine oil or gearbox oil? Also have you tried to turn it over since?

3. ricko

ricko Member

i think its engine oil. have not tryed starting it again just in case the timings out or something, am going to have a proper look at the weekend by taking sump of and the like

4. Westy

Westy Well-Known Member

Did your car cut out after you heard the noise and did the engine dash light come up? I think you'll need to take a look or get a garage to take a look to get a propper diagnosis of the problem.

5. ricko

ricko Member

i got no warning light on my dash at all. i lost all engine power but it was still running but very badly so turned it off to try and save the engine

6. ikbenben

ikbenben Belgium S3 driver

I think one of your boostpipes popped of ;)

7. 666markyboy

666markyboy Well-Known Member

where's all the oil come from then ????

8. ikbenben

It depends on how much oil it is. There is always some oil in the intercooler pipes (from crank vent eg)

9. ricko

ricko Member

i was thinking it could be a boost pipe but like markyboy said what about the oil? and it had started to drip oil a couple of days before. what about the crank pully?

10. ricko

ricko Member

can the stardard intercooler pop?

11. ikbenben

Off course :yes: