1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Balance shaft inspection/replacement plus parking sensors

Discussion in 'Audi S4/A4/A4 Cab (B7 Chassis)' started by tuffy, Jan 2, 2013.

1. tuffy

tuffy Member

73mm i believe mate

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. tuffy

tuffy Member

Thought it was a better approach than just driving with fingers crossed. No hadn't planned on replacing any other parts. I would say it took us probably 2 hours in total to strip down a remove. To be honest, not as bad as i thought it was going to be.
    Most difficult bit was removing two studs tucked up in the bell housing that were holding the sump in place.

4. Darren198712

Darren198712 Member

Paul B7 posted this up (last page on the right in the middle)
    https://dl.dropbox.com/u/63614250/2.0 TDI oil pumps.pdf

in the artical it says you can convert from the 2.0 oil pump back to the Old school B5 one which is the 1.9 (ALH)

from reading the article it says you need this part and that part

I am assuming that all the parts are from the 1.9 (ALH) and if this is true you could pick up a ALH engine for cheaper then £300

and just swap everything over
    VOLKSWAGEN CADDY ENGINE 1.9TDI ALH CODE | eBay

#43 Darren198712, Jan 30, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2013
  5. Darren198712

Darren198712 Member

did you end up taking the subframe off or just jacking it up ?

6. tuffy

tuffy Member

Loosened the subframe mate so it dropped a little and raised the engine a bit too using a engine hoist. Sump then just slipped out towards the front of the car

7. matthew999

matthew999 Member

Yeah fingers crossed approach is doing my head in lol. Gotta get this **** sorted. Who's the garage might give em call

Cheers

Matt

8. tuffy

tuffy Member

Its a friend of mines company in Suffolk, Modern vehicle technology. pretty good on all German cars

9. Paul B7

Paul B7 Active Member

This is a good thread and thanks for keeping everyone updated. Its good to read not everyone has had to pay out like I did for a BLB chain to gear conversion.

10. tuffy

tuffy Member

As far as im concerned Paul these forums are for helping fellow Audi owners out, If we can save each other a few quid than its a bonus. Sorry to hear you had the expense of the big convertion

11. Darren198712

Darren198712 Member

have a read
    Oil pump chain smashed thru alloy case and discussion on replacement oil pump conversion kit for BLB engine - Page 8

12. Paul B7

Paul B7 Active Member

There are several forums all telling similar tales of woe but I have yet to come across any better and more informative than the information in the now very long thread at the top /near the top of our very own forums top page on the B7 series.
    Thanks for the posting anyhow as I am sure there are many,many others on here who want to read all they can about this latent Audi design defect and the Audi cover up that has now been running several years.

13. tuffy

tuffy Member

Hi all. Balance shaft sent off to Powermax today.They said it should be back with me Tuesday/Wednesday as they haven't any on the shelf, and will be upgrading my own unit.

14. countax

countax New Member

Tuffy,
    Any chance of some photos showing how you have the engine supported and the subframe positioning etc.?
    Nigel

15. tuffy

tuffy Member

I will next time i go into the workshop. In the mean time i will try to explain.....Black engine cover removed from top of the engine, at the front of the engine and at the back you will see the engine support brackets.

We used a engine support that spans the engine left to right and sits on the inner lip of the wing, used two pieces of timber just to protect the lip of the wings. attached chain to the engine support brackets and support brace and wound it tight.

As for the subframe just loosen the bolts which hold the frame to the underside of the car just enough so it drops a few millimeters

I've read on other forums you have to totally remove the aircon compressor....you dont! undo and remove the bolt holding the compressor to the car but keeping all the pipes attached so not to release the gas and just support the compressor unit by a bungie strap.

Hope that helps.

16. countax

countax New Member

Tuffy,
    That would be great, especially if you could do some detailed photos of the engine supports. Do you feel the removal of the front bumper was essential and made the job easier?
    Nigel

17. tuffy

tuffy Member

Didn't remove the front bumper mate, absolutely no need. The only parts physically removed were engine mounts allowing the sump to be dropped and removed

18. tuffy

tuffy Member

Bit of an update
    Balance shaft returned today! Great turnaround service by Powermax! I sent it 4:30 on Thursday... recieved 10:00 am today
    Just got to put it all back together now!

19. gen.heinz guderian

gen.heinz guderian Well-Known Member
    Regional Rep VCDS Map User

Good luck!!

20. countax

countax New Member

Tuffy,
    A quick question regarding the type of engine support beam you used. Was yours a single lift type that lifted both the front and back chains together or was it the twin lifter version with two independent chain lifters? My reason for asking is that i am looking to get all the necessary parts ready for doing mine. How is your rebuild coming along?
    Nigel

21. tuffy

tuffy Member

No problem Nigel. Its the single lift version, two chains attached to one tightening point in the middle of lift.

Its going slowly but surely......Sump, oil pump etc all cleaned in the wash tank on saturday. Silicone gasket sealant cleaned off sump a block and cleaned with wire wool, plus all bolts washed and cleaned. May be a bit long winded but want all the parts to be immacualtely clean before they go back together
    Everything on the workbench ready to go back in :icon_thumright:

Attached Files:

• 015.jpg
      015.jpg
      File size:
      92.8 KB
      Views:
    • 011.jpg
      011.jpg
      File size:
      97.1 KB
      Views:
    • 012.jpg
      012.jpg
      File size:
      97.5 KB
      Views:
    • 013.jpg
      013.jpg
      File size:
      98.8 KB
      Views:
    #60 tuffy, Feb 11, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2013
  22. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  23. gen.heinz guderian

Is that your own workshop?

24. tuffy

tuffy Member

No mate, its my friends.

25. countax

countax New Member

Tuffy,
    A couple of questions.... How do you plan to correctly position the balance shafts so their timing is correct when you put the unit back onto the engine? did you lock the engine at TDC? Is there a need to set the idle gear backlash when you refit the unit?
    Thx,
    Nigel

26. tuffy

tuffy Member

To be honest Nigel, I will be leaving that part of it to the trained Mechanic That's where I'm out of my depths. Stick to what ya know!

#64 tuffy, Feb 12, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2013
  27. Paul B7

Paul B7 Active Member

There's an Audi tool for doing the alignment, circa £20-30 off the bay last time I looked.

Audi Tool number T10255

Paul B7

#65 Paul B7, Feb 12, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2013
  28. countax

countax New Member

Thx Paul. I can see how that tool aligns one of the balance shafts to engine TDC, but how do you align the other balance shaft to its partner when you rebuild the balance shaft assembly prior to putting back it onto the engine? This must be critical to avoid a lumpy engine.
    Nigel

29. Steve220

Steve220 Member

Is there not a guide on here? Or does anyone have access to the workshop manuals?

30. Paul B7

Paul B7 Active Member

Sorry I can't help here as mine was re built by Audi Teesside and used a new module.

31. tuffy

tuffy Member

UPDATE
    Ok all back together! started and runs spot on, must admit fairly nervous when we turned the key! Didnt let it start straight away as wanted the oil to get pumped around a little before it actually fired up. oil filter, fuel filter and air filter changed. Will clean ERG valve out too if i get time.... Road test tomorrow,

Will also be wiring in the parking sensors tomorrow and refitting the rear bumper. All systems go! Time for the scirocco to go on Auto trader!

32. matthew999

matthew999 Member

nice one tuffy, let us know how ya road test goes on

33. tuffy

tuffy Member

Will do. Didn't quite go to plan today, connected all the parking sensors up, offered the bumper up and there was a gap along the bumper where it meets the floor of the boot.

Turns out that the bodyshop removed it when spraying the bumper and forgot to give it back to me!!
    Monday it is now!

Going to get it booked in for tints in the next week or so too!

#71 tuffy, Feb 16, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2013
  34. ae123

ae123 New Member

Hi guys

Just had my Balance shaft swapped as the unthinkable happened on New Years Eve. I stopped within a mile of the oil pressure light coming on, but stilled finished off my turbo. The turbo worked (sounded very sick) for one day after the balance shaft was replaced but blew taking most of the oil out of the engine with it.... The Hex key (which was modified by the dealer under warranty) only lasted approx. 50k as you can see it was completely round. It was the 75mm one not the newer 100mm length which I guess is part of the problem. I purchased the new balance shaft for £225 (sending my old one back) and the labour was £450 with oil and filter. The AC needed re-gassing. The remanufactured turbo fitted was £500. so all in all it has costed me a just over 1k.

It is quite a job, in my case the dropped the sub-frame to take the sump off and moved the a/c unit. A few garages were not interested after bad experiences (I think to do the modification from the chain is an even bigger job as it needs more parts that will make it more expensive). If you are going to have it inspected i would have the hex or chain replaced at the same time as taking it apart is 3/4 of the job and expense.

The dealer does not even return my calls, I am thinking to taking the case to small claims court. There are so many cases at the moment the modified balance shafts are in short supply. The car is working but i am sure it has done no good to it, but when you look at the second hand prices of my 56 Audi Avant I would not swap it as at least i know my car and it is in good condition with a good spec. One garage told me to scap it...

It is very frustrating that all the expense could have been avoided and down to a bad design. I will just have to hit the brakes the next time the oil light comes on, as you never know when it will go or have a new hex shaft or chain fitted every 50K ish (I even wonder if you should not pay to upgrade the chain to the hex key as I think both are flawed and it may be better to save the conversion cash and just get the chain and drive replaced like the hex). The good news is there are some chaps out there who can help and supply units to get you back on the road, which the dealers are not willing to do unless you have very deep pockets.

I will update if I have anymore news

35. tuffy

tuffy Member

Sorry to hear about your troubles mate. Did the dealer originally replace only the hex key? Or did they replace the actuall balance shaft aswell ?

36. ae123

ae123 New Member

The dealer was very tight lipped when it went in, but I believe it must have been the balance shaft conversion from the chain. It was in for a few days. It is a BRE engine. I am just glad I got it at a good price and am planning doing another 100K in it ( let's see how many hex keys I get through) before I get a new one. When I brought it there were hardly any news on this, but this will roll and roll

37. tuffy

tuffy Member

I may be wrong mate but from what i've read/been told its not the actual hex thats the problem, its the drive inside the balance shaft which wears, causing movement and eventually rounds the hex key off causing it to slip

Powermax engineering who upgraded my balance shaft, just engineer a hardened drive into the center of the balance shaft, return it to you along with a next standard length oem hex key, which sort of indicates to me the hex is not the issue.
    Time will tell i suppose!

38. Paul B7

Paul B7 Active Member

Only the BLB coded engines have the chain driven balance shaft /oil pump assembly.
    BRE engines have the gear driven unit fitted.

39. Darren198712

Darren198712 Member

So converting to the 1.9 pump means to go back to chain and changing the sprocket on the crank shaft then replacing the oil pump. Sounds like a head ache! Well the oil pump going wrong was a head ache in the first place but its weighing in the options

40. tuffy

tuffy Member

UPDATE.
    Ok guys, back on topic..... Car is finished now Wooop! Wooop! Almost lost the will to live Friday evening when setting up the parking sensors....... Couldn't get them to work properly, turned out the wire had come off one sensor! So had to undo half the fixings on the bumper again to repair it

To be honest the whole job wasn't as bad as I thought, stripping down a replacing the balance shaft was fairly straight forward and if you have access to a set of lifts ( definately not a Sunday morning job laying on the drive) a practical mind don't be put having a crack
    With a bit of patience it's possible to remove the sump without actually removing too much else

Parking sensors was an ok job too, once you've removed boot interior trim, Bose ( if applicable ) and the 18 or so fixings holdings the bumper to the car, you're away! It helps a lot having the position of the sensors marked on the inside of the bumper!
    Also gave me the chance to replace the broken filler flap locking actuator !

I will hopefully get some pics up of the car.
    Although my knowledge is really very limited always happy to try a answer any questions if anyone has a go at any of the above.

41. gen.heinz guderian

Nice one ,glad you got it sorted.
    Will you be going to the meet at Tivetshall Ram on 17th March?

42. tuffy

tuffy Member

Some pictures......The scirocco which is now up for sale..... And the new family vehicle....

Attached Files:

davidparcher likes this.