Bad tyre day!

funkycat

Reaction score
Well its cost me £194 to drive over a chuffing screw in our warehouse car park today. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cry.gif

I had no choice at 4:55pm but to go to Kwik Fit round the corner to get a new tyre or face driving 100 miles home with the space saver on.

I got an exact replacement. Michelin Pilot Sport 225 x 18" for my S-line 18" alloy. I am sure someone will post better prices than the £194 I paid today, but I was stuck in Milton Keynes otherwise. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif (No offence to anyone who lives in MK though!)

Should I have driven home on the space saver??? and looked for a better deal tomorrow? I'd probably still be driving back now!

Bad news funkycat

I always forget I have a space saver fitted and end up doing a ton in the outside lane getting dis approving looks from fellow motorists...

J.

Unlucky Funkycat, done the exact same in my R32. But luckly my cousin runs a garage, so only a £130 notes. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

I have an A3 2.0 TDI SE fitted with 205/55 R 16 Dunlop Sport 01 tyres. I am due to drive to Austria later this month for a holiday and the thought of a puncture on a Sunday morning in France and a long drive on a space saver across France does not appeal at all.

So I've purchased a steel wheel to suit my car and a new matching tyre - tyre cost £94.00 including fitting and balancing - and I will put them in a 'black bin liner' behind the passenger's seat for the journey, just in case. When I get to Austria and the luggage comes out, it can live in the boot for the fortnight. I used to do the same thing when I had a Golf VR6 with a space saver.

[ QUOTE ]
So I've purchased a steel wheel to suit my car and a new matching tyre - tyre cost £94.00 including fitting and balancing - and I will put them in a 'black bin liner' behind the passenger's seat for the journey, just in case.

[/ QUOTE ]

jsus dude, bit xtreme... it's hardly Paris-Dakar!

[ QUOTE ]
jsus dude, bit xtreme... it's hardly Paris-Dakar!

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Would you want to drive for 600miles on a space saver with a car full of people and bags... Oh and all at 50mph!

[/ QUOTE ]

No- but i wouldn't want to breakdown either. Maybe you should take an AA mecahnic with you too. just in case! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Do Kwik fit offer a refund the difference gimick? If so I would get a new tyre priced up and go to your local outfit and get some change.
With Kwik fit you never take their first price. I know having a puncture and using spacesaver lowers your bargaining position but if you make it known you would rather drive with your toy tyre on than pay their price it may help. Otherwise do a bit of research and be able to quote them your best price.

Rich

Wish I could have done that, but reluctant to drive back home on the space saver, so took the quote, knowing full well I could have done better else where, but it was 4:50pm in Milton Keynes, a place you can easily get lost in trying to find another tyre outlet! Even with Sat Nav! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cry.gif

Funkycat!

lol... my beemer had 255's at the back! Im sure they were put on by mistake!

[ QUOTE ]
Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Would you want to drive for 600miles on a space saver with a car full of people and bags... Oh and all at 50mph!

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
No- but i wouldn't want to breakdown either. Maybe you should take an AA mecahnic with you too. just in case!

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't need a mechanic - have access to a Dedicated Audi Technician or similar by using Audi On-call which operates in all European countries. But even Audi On-call would have trouble finding a tyre depot open on a Sunday in France. The French don't work on Sundays. Mind you it does have advantages - there are no lorries cluttering up the autoroutes.

If I keep my A3 for my usual 3 years and take it on holiday to Germany/Austria twice a year thats a cost of £15.67 per trip. Well worth it for the extra peace of mind.

I thought the speed rating of a space saver was not the tyre rating, but a rating imposed by the car manufacturer (through fear of litigation) because the trye is too narrow for the vehicle? i.e. it's fine on a straight, but would be insufficient for full cornering side loads.

The very lowest tyre speed rating is 'NR' which is up to 87mph continuous.

I passengered from M Keynes to Manchester in a TT225 with a space saver on the rear, wet and 130mph, never really noticed the difference.

[ QUOTE ]
I thought the speed rating of a space saver was not the tyre rating, but a rating imposed by the car manufacturer (through fear of litigation) because the trye is too narrow for the vehicle? i.e. it's fine on a straight, but would be insufficient for full cornering side loads.

The very lowest tyre speed rating is 'NR' which is up to 87mph continuous.

I passengered from M Keynes to Manchester in a TT225 with a space saver on the rear, wet and 130mph, never really noticed the difference.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm loving that, but have to admit, had I been the passenger, I would have either punched the driver or sh@t myself.