Bad road noise?

Rgrahamvox

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Bought a 2007 a3 2.0tdi dsg sportback a few months ago, had a lot of trouble with in unfortunately. One thing really annoying me is this very loud road noise.

It started a few weeks ago, faint drone. Gradually got worse until now it's pretty unbearable. Only apparent over 30mph and makes no difference cornering or going straight.

Just had 3 tyres replaced. Was an absolute nightmare as 2 of the locking nuts had metal broken in them (was wondering why I had 2 bolts, one of which was broken). Took it to my garage who basically smashed them off. So after that , I got the tyres (the 3 were basically bald, and one had slow puncher). Noise seems to be coming from the back, where 2 were bad and one going flat. Having had them changed (now all 4 new and balanced), the noise and vibration is no different. Noise is so loud especially over 50mph, vibration very minimal. Car doesn't slow down if I knock it into neutral, there is no grinding noise etc, just very bad road noise.

Any one have any idea what it could be? Starting to regret buying this Car (always wanted One, good price and good nick but that should have told me something...)

Managed to fix a leak in it which was causing ridiculous smoke, been fine since. Also battery goes flat when left for 24 hours (and it's a new battery) but I'll go into that another day. Also drivers door locks with the button but doesn't unlock, have to manually unlock with key, slight annoyance and something I've read about before.

Thanks for any help!

Last edited:
I've got a 09 a3 sportsback s-line myself and the road noise has always been bad, regardless of tyres etc... Just put it down to stiff suspension and large wheels with low profile tyres

Ditto. Our A3 Sportback S-Line with the stiff suspension and low profile tires make terrible noise especially in the back. I’ve been looking at soundproofing lately because of this!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: andyb616
Maybe the shocks or wheel bearings are shot, what’s the mileage like?
My 3 door road noise has always been alright

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

When I first got the Car, there was virtually no noise, it's been gradually getting worse since after Christmas. Assumed (and hoped) it was the tyres as they really were very bad. But 4 new now and no difference. Done 120k, recently did a 1k round trip with no problems, noises etc. It's so loud now I might have to invest in some earplugs!

Guess it means yet another trip to the garage. They'll be sick of the sight of me! Got rid of my last car because I was always taking it there, I really do pick them!

If the wheel bearings and dampners are ok then it could still be the tyres. What tyres did you have and what have you replaced them with?

If the wheel bearings and dampners are ok then it could still be the tyres. What tyres did you have and what have you replaced them with?

I swapped out the stock shocks as soon as I could after buying as the stock ones bounce all over the place and really can’t hold the road, swapped for bilstein never looked back.

When I first got the Car, there was virtually no noise, it's been gradually getting worse since after Christmas. Assumed (and hoped) it was the tyres as they really were very bad. But 4 new now and no difference. Done 120k, recently did a 1k round trip with no problems, noises etc. It's so loud now I might have to invest in some earplugs!

Guess it means yet another trip to the garage. They'll be sick of the sight of me! Got rid of my last car because I was always taking it there, I really do pick them!

My rear bearings are still solid at 70k, could be shot by 120k if they haven’t been changed already

The tyre guy refered to them as budget, now they are 4 Michelin. Thanks for the help, will get it booked in I guess. When i get this and the rest sorted I might have a decent Car!

Is it dangerous to drive if this is the problem, earliest I can book it in is Monday and I have to use the Car for work this weekend.

My rear bearings are still solid at 70k, could be shot by 120k if they haven’t been changed already

Can't see anything in the paperwork to suggest it has been done previously, car appears to have been well looked after on other regards though.

Will book it in and see what the garage says. I'm in no way mechanical so it's hard for me to really explain symptoms. Hopefully they can find it, they couldn't find the leak and i sorted it with k-seal thanks to this forum.

Thanks everyone.

For what its worth i find Pirelli PZero's, Bridgestone Potenza's and all the Continentals to be generally noisy tyres. I have Pirelli's on my S5 and Bridgestones on my Mercedes SL and will be changing them to Goodyear Eagle F1 AS3's as soon as i can. The Goodyears are renowned for their low noise levels.

For what its worth i find Pirelli PZero's, Bridgestone Potenza's and all the Continentals to be generally noisy tyres. I have Pirelli's on my S5 and Bridgestones on my Mercedes SL and will be changing them to Goodyear Eagle F1 AS3's as soon as i can. The Goodyears are renowned for their low noise levels.

Interesting. We’ve got Pirelli PZero!

Can't see anything in the paperwork to suggest it has been done previously, car appears to have been well looked after on other regards though.

Will book it in and see what the garage says. I'm in no way mechanical so it's hard for me to really explain symptoms. Hopefully they can find it, they couldn't find the leak and i sorted it with k-seal thanks to this forum.

Thanks everyone.

For wheel bearing wear lift wheel of ground then try and move wheel by grabbing at 12 and 6 o’clock and tray and move it, then at 3 and 9 o’clock and same if no movement then should be ok try rotating wheel as well to see if any grinding noise from bearing if all sound and solid bearing will be of any movement and get them swapped out. Oh make sure hand brake is off and car chocked and in gear so doesn’t move on jack

Michelin PS4’s best tyre I’ve had so far great performance and not that noisy

My money is on the wheel bearings making the noise. An experienced motor mechanic should be able to diagnose that. Could also be a warped wheel, badly fitted aftermarket suspension.
Battery problem, have a look under the bonnet & behind the radio for non standard wiring.
Door lock , Solenoid on door locks are often a failure on our A3's and the wiring between the drivers A post and door can break inside the rubber gaiter.
There'a a few things for you to check out next w/e.

Get your mechanic to drive the car with you in passengers seat and if you here the noise point it out to him or if it is a bearing noise i for one would think he will know that noise.
Battery , i have read on here that some batteries need coded back in usinh Vcd's once replaced but don't quote me , as other member said take head unit out and check wiring is all earth ause of not i assume that could drain battery.
Lets know how you get on cheers

Thanks for the help everyone, very much appreciated. Going to drop it off at the garage on Monday, hopefully it's safe to use until then (no other option, about 20 miles a day). Will update when sorted. Didn't think it possible but noise was even worse today!

As for the battery, all wiring behind standard radio looks okay. Bought a multimeter off Amazon the other day, gonna try using that and pulling fuses.

One thing I noticed with the door not unlocking, it is slightly intermittent in that about once a week it will open with the button. Also will open with button when the battery is flat or nearly flat (but is still locked prior to pressing the button). Door problem started a few weeks before battery i think, although its hard to tell as if i use the car daily it is okay, i rarely don't use it daily but if i do leave it 24hrs its flat.

Cheers.

Could it be your brake calipers binding, one caliper starting to seize. Had this with mine and started with slight noise, also slight vibration but the giveaway was the centre hub getting hot. I thought it was the bearings and did all of the checks like you and on mine the wheel did actually turn by hand even though as I found out later,it was binding. Worth a check and could be a cheap fix if you can clean them up.

Thanks for the help everyone, very much appreciated. Going to drop it off at the garage on Monday, hopefully it's safe to use until then (no other option, about 20 miles a day). Will update when sorted. Didn't think it possible but noise was even worse today!

As for the battery, all wiring behind standard radio looks okay. Bought a multimeter off Amazon the other day, gonna try using that and pulling fuses.

One thing I noticed with the door not unlocking, it is slightly intermittent in that about once a week it will open with the button. Also will open with button when the battery is flat or nearly flat (but is still locked prior to pressing the button). Door problem started a few weeks before battery i think, although its hard to tell as if i use the car daily it is okay, i rarely don't use it daily but if i do leave it 24hrs its flat.

Cheers.
Have you changed the battery in your key fob , could be that simple .
When you use multimeter check the blocks in the back off head unit too

Have you changed the battery in your key fob , could be that simple .
When you use multimeter check the blocks in the back off head unit too

I haven't changed the battery, but all other doors unlock fine every time (well actually, the boot doesn't, I have to keep mashing the key until it finally unlocks, and the boot release button on the key worked one time (same with button on the door), and the rear wiper doesn't work, just another issue I realised).

Just been out in the Car tonight, noticed the noise stops when I go left at 30mph+, would this perhaps be a clue to what the issue is. Previously noise would only be apparent over 30, tonight it is apparent over 20.

Thanks again.

Last edited:
Managed to take the Car to the garage this morning, just got it back. It was the left back wheel bearing, thought it was the right from the noise. Mechanic described it as "absolutely bollocksed", sounds about right considering the noise.

Thank you everyone for all your help and suggestions, really appreciated it, this is a great forum.

Now to get all the other niggles sorted and I'll have a nice car!

Cheers.

Managed to take the Car to the garage this morning, just got it back. It was the left back wheel bearing, thought it was the right from the noise. Mechanic described it as "absolutely bollocksed", sounds about right considering the noise.

Thank you everyone for all your help and suggestions, really appreciated it, this is a great forum.

Now to get all the other niggles sorted and I'll have a nice car!

Cheers.

The problem with your door lock is that the door lock mechanism will be no good, same thing happened to mine. I took the risk of replacing it with a second hand one and it’s been fine since. They stick basically so when you open it with the fob then 9 times out of 10 it doesn’t open. You have to take the door to bits to replace it, it’s a bit fiddley but I found a video on YouTube

Or it could be the wires. On my old car I had to have the wires replaced the part where the door hinge sits, they rub then break, you need to rewire them and lengthen it.