1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

bad move?

Discussion in 'In-Car Entertainment' started by goon, May 29, 2010.

1. goon

goon Member

[May 29, 2010]
    think I may have made a bad move to put a jvc stereo in my a4. The front and rear speakers have very poor balance even when adjusting the fader option, I bought the correct leads but am now thinking that the rear speakers are not compatable with the jvc unit.
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 21, 2014]

3. AndyMac

AndyMac Moderator Staff Member Moderator

[May 29, 2010]
    No you just need to wire them direct to the HU. At the moment the fronts are powered by the HU (at least 2 x 40w) and the rears are still being powered by the puny 2 x 20w amp in the boot.
  4. goon

goon Member

[May 29, 2010]
    wired them via the red plug which splits into the red and white hifi style plugs into the back of the HU,and then theblue/white lead to the 12v aerial lead,I thought this was correct,if you have an alternative circuit for this please advise me. Thanks.
  5. AndyMac

[May 29, 2010]
    It is correct if you want to continue to power the rears with the fisher price piece of garbage Audi laughingly call an amp and you want to fade to rear to balance the sound. A better option is to rewire the rears back to the JVC and power then with the far superior internal amp in the HU. For this you need to disconnect the wiring to the rears buy about 8m of cheap speaker cable, connect the ends to the speakers and run it back to the HU. Splice the new cable into the speaker loom for the JVC i.e. the 8 cables going to the brown plug on the Audi loom.
  6. goon

goon Member

[May 29, 2010]
    i will look into it,but maybe a good idea to replace the toys r us audi amp with a quality item.
  7. AndyMac

[May 29, 2010]
    Why? you have a perfectly good amp inside the HU.
  8. goon

goon Member

[May 30, 2010]
    I now see what you are saying,the HU output is greater than the original audi item so that now the HU fed fronts are overpowering the audi amplified rears,I thought a 50w amp would screw in easier than pulling all the internal trim and dash apart to run cables.
  9. AndyMac

[May 30, 2010]
    You'd need to run power for an amp, you can't use the feeble cable the rear amp uses. All you need to do is remove the glovebox, 5 min job. The cables just tuck under the sill trim all the way to the boot.
  10. goon

goon Member

[Jun 1, 2010]
    will have to get a workshop manual before I start pulling the car to bits for this,the old rovers and austins were easier to do jobs like this.