1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bad Idle - no power when moving off in 1st and 2nd, random jumps in 3rd. please help

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by Zenin, Mar 19, 2010.

1. Zenin

Zenin Member

[Mar 19, 2010]
    Ive got a 1.6 A3

ok so ive just had my clutch replaced and flywheel machined, also the abs light is usualy on, but it goes off at times.

the problem ive been having is once the car is started for the first time that day, on colder days especially, theres a very bad idle it bounces around 1 and a bit under it. once it even got so frantic the car stalled at traffic lights.

its very bad when driving too, for example from 1st pulling away there is no power at all and im flooring it, it feeling like 1/4 of the power coming through then it just kicks in i get the full power (goes normal again) then the cycle repeats when i stop and start. this happens only in 1st and 2nd, and it randomly jolts in 3rd(rarely) but after that early morning journey is over the car is great for the rest of the day.

I have a cheapo VAG COM and software from ebay have yet to use it, gotta take out my stereo first as i heard it will cause trouble.

does anybody know what the problem could be?, my clutch was bad i knew that and i thought that THIS problem was related(clutch slipping) but know now i know it can't be the clutch.
  2. Ads

Ads

[Nov 29, 2014]

3. S3KO4

S3KO4 Member

[Mar 19, 2010]
    Sounds more like MAF, have been said many times before, disconnect it and drive without it, if it feels any smoother then, you are in the right area.
  4. Zenin

Zenin Member

[Mar 19, 2010]
    k will search on it, but to speed it up can someone tell me where it is and how to remove it, im a complete engine noob

EDIT: ok so i actually put in 'MAF' in the search box and seems like its too short a term, i tried "change MAF" but no results.

any help?
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2010
  5. S3KO4

S3KO4 Member

[Mar 19, 2010]
    Open the bonnet, on the right hand side where the air intake box (air filter box) is, there is a round black object stuck to it, about size of a small drinking glass, with a cable connection, just disconnect (unplug) it, then drive it see how it feels, if it improves, then get a new one, make sure it is Audi VW, not cheap ones…
  6. Zenin

Zenin Member

[Mar 19, 2010]
    ok thank you, you have been helpfull i will try this soon.
  7. S3KO4

S3KO4 Member

[Mar 19, 2010]
    Good luck, keep us posted.