Bad Fitting Fuel Flap

Boyakasha

Reaction score

My fuel flap does not fit flush with the body, When you push the bottom down the top sticks out over a cm, anyone else had this problem?

Yes Ive had that Problem, audi just ordered me a new one.

Dave

[ QUOTE ]
Yes Ive had that Problem, audi just ordered me a new one.

Dave

[/ QUOTE ]

Cool, I'll have to pop in and get it sorted. As the car is only 2-3 months old there shouldn't be any hassel.

My fuel flap has been a problem from day one.
It fits into the body well enough,but it still won't open without levering a small key into the gap and pulling it open (scratching the paint in the process).
I'm sure it must look impressive to other people in the forecourt...not.

Bowfer not had that problem but I would be well hosed if that happened to me. Only thing I find is that when washing the car everytime you go over the flap it pops open /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Spooky, mine started playing up this morning!

The cap won't release so you have to lever it open with a key or finger nail.

Sounds like a common problem. I'll take mine into the dealers over Christmas and see what they have to say.

I think the 'click to close/click to open' thing is just too fancy.
There's really no need for it and it evidently isn't very reliable.

In fact,it reminds me of Alan Partridge.
The episode where he gets after hours access to his local Tandy and he spends ages pressing the cassette flap on a stereo,whilst saying "nice action....mmm..nice"

Fools the showroom fiddlers,but of little practical use.

[ QUOTE ]
I think the 'click to close/click to open' thing is just too fancy.
There's really no need for it and it evidently isn't very reliable.

[/ QUOTE ]

Mines alright....and it ain't exactly fancy. The 'technology' has been around for more than 20 years.

If you mean what do you do with the tank cap when filling up - the two slots in the tank cap fit over the top of the fuel tank flap.

Dave R -

Yours must be different, the cut-outs in my petrol cap will not fit over the flap, the thread on the body of the cap is too close to the cut-out rim to allow it to fit over the flap.

I've tried it allsorts of ways and failed.

Just have to leave it dangling against the paintwork!

[ QUOTE ]
If you mean what do you do with the tank cap when filling up - the two slots in the tank cap fit over the top of the fuel tank flap.

[/ QUOTE ]

'Say again, Over.' /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Dave R -

Yours must be different, the cut-outs in my petrol cap will not fit over the flap, the thread on the body of the cap is too close to the cut-out rim to allow it to fit over the flap.

I've tried it allsorts of ways and failed.

Just have to leave it dangling against the paintwork!

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, mine`s the same as this, I thought it was just me being stupid!

I can't really see why Audi couldn't fit a small 'lip' on the fuel flap,just in case the mechanism fails.
It wouldn't exactly ruin the looks,would it.

[ QUOTE ]
I can't really see why Audi couldn't fit a small 'lip' on the fuel flap,just in case the mechanism fails.
It wouldn't exactly ruin the looks,would it.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's prob a combinanation of securtiy and aesthetics. Don't want to look down the side of the car and see a flange sticking out.

micket - have a look in your Owner's Manual under Filling the tank. In my manual there is a picture showing the tank cap hanging on the tank flap.

On the previous 8L version of the A3 the tank flap was rectangular and had a small v-shaped piece on the left hand side to pull it open once the central locking had been unlocked.

This worked very well. When I stopped for fuel, I could get out and open the flap (with the central locking unlocked) and then press the button to relock the car - so that I didn't forget when I went in to pay. When I came back I just pressed the button and the flap closed itself as the central locking pin was drawn back. Small thing but it worked very well.

Also, as the flap was recangular, the tap cap hung on the tank flap better. Still that's progress - one step forward and two steps back - only to have a circular and flush tank flap.

[ QUOTE ]
see a flange sticking out.

[/ QUOTE ]

man, that's never pretty... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/angel.gif

Dave R - LOL!!

RTFM indeed!

Not that i'm stupid or anything, honest, I'd never tried hanging the cap on THAT side of the flap!! (the painted side) I've always tried to hang it on the inside edge! Doh!

Ah well, 10 months and 26,000 miles to figure that one out. That engineering degree wasn't much use!

That's why I chose DSG, 3 pedals always confused me! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

As they say miket, you learn something new every day !

On my 05 sportback I can hang the cap on the hinge of the flap (i.e. not the flap itself) - try it