Backdraft Motorsport S3 Endurance Race Car build

The update is that I went over and looked at it and now have some ideas and much envy

Reactions: S3Alex
The update is that I went over and looked at it and now have some ideas and much envy

That's the trouble with looking at what other people are up to!

Reactions: Sevv and Revo Steve-W
First time reading this thread - amazing. Love the work BDM are doing and this S3 (if you can even call it that anymore!!) is going to be amazing. Well done guys

Sorry its been such a long time since we last posted. Always too many things to do and not enough time to do them!
Some progress has been made since we last posted and as always a few pictures to look over.

Milltek Sport. For Motorsport Only. Love it.

Boot latch pins.

BDM, the king of brackets!

Might have got a bit carried away with the hole saw ;-)

Revo intake kit, slightly modified.

Oil cooler ready to be dummied up.

Exciting development... Carbon fiber wide arch front wings look like they come straight off the Audi production line.

Reactions: cnahamilton, br20vt, Dean_T and 3 others
Sorry its been such a long time since we last posted. Always too many things to do and not enough time to do them!
Some progress has been made since we last posted and as always a few pictures to look over.

Milltek Sport. For Motorsport Only. Love it.

Boot latch pins.

BDM, the king of brackets!

Might have got a bit carried away with the hole saw ;-)

Revo intake kit, slightly modified.

Oil cooler ready to be dummied up.

Exciting development... Carbon fiber wide arch front wings look like they come straight off the Audi production line.

This is looking amazing guys, can't wait to see it completed and out on track!

Reactions: Backdraft Motorsport
Very interested in those wings.

Any details etc you can release?

Very interested in those wings.

Any details etc you can release?

They look good don't they. Here's a picture of a set that we had painted and fitted to a big turbo S3 we have done...

From the mold they weigh about 800 grams each +/-. They need a bit of preparation & making good before you paint them and fit them but as you can see, they look the dogs do-dahs!

Reactions: Sevv and S3Alex
Sorry Alex, That 800 Euro price was on the BRAID wheels.
The carbon wings are £1600 + VAT for a pair or we can supply fiberglass versions in a white gel coat for £1000 + VAT.

I will be in touch shortly!

Need to liase with AMD and my bank account!

Reactions: Sevv and Backdraft Motorsport
Sorry Alex, That 800 Euro price was on the BRAID wheels.
The carbon wings are £1600 + VAT for a pair or we can supply fiberglass versions in a white gel coat for £1000 + VAT.
I would like this to. Do you make it for the facelift SportBack to?

They look perfect for what I need.

It would allow us to drop the ride height a bit on the front,and still have room for the wheels and tyres(245x40x18s).

Thanks!

1st time reading this thread and subscribed...

Simply awesome!

We have spent another couple of days on the car this week and have sorted a few bits and bobs...

Oil cooler is now fitted and all the lines have been made up. I cant get enough of those aeroquip fittings.

Oil catch tank and breather all sorted.

Carbon bonnet fitted, tick. Love the pattern the weave makes. In two minds about painting it. What do you think?
Also think the car looks really aggressive from this angle. I think it needs the black S3 grill and badge though.

More bracket making. This time for the bonnet catch pins.

Other jobs done this week include getting the body work fitted correctly, putting in the plastic rear and side windows and fitting the original screen.

Reactions: br20vt, Dean_T, RedDejavu and 1 other person
Definitely liking the look of that,and it does look suitably aggressive.

Painting...not sure.....I'll have mine painted when I get around to ordering them ,but that's for a road car.

Have you added your own splitter and bonnet as well?.....you can guess where that's going.

Definitely liking the look of that,and it does look suitably aggressive.

Painting...not sure.....I'll have mine painted when I get around to ordering them ,but that's for a road car.

Have you added your own splitter and bonnet as well?.....you can guess where that's going.

We are really pleased with how the car looks. The wings will have to be painted but I think we will leave the bonnet as is.
The front bumper is standard, standard splitter etc but we might make something a little different for it. The bonnet is carbon fiber. Light as a feather. We got it from prestige performance parts. I took about 4 months to arrive but was worth the wait. I cant believe we will have to drill holes in it though so we can fit the bonnet catches!

Reactions: S3Alex
Happy halloween all.

Been continuing the work on the S3 for the past few days. As it's looking so close to completion we couldn't resist getting the sticker machine out and making some stickers. It's really starting to look like a propper race car!

Featuring 'BDM Tuning Parts Online' graphics. The BDM stickers have to be picked out by hand and take hours! Tuning parts online will be our new website shop which fingers crossed should be up and running soon will all the bits and pieces from the S3 plus loads of other stuff.

Also need to mention a big thanks to all our partners with their help and support with this project.

Not the clearest of pictures but you can see the new dash on the steering column in the picture below. This is an AIM dash that also features data logging. The dash measures lots of information from the car such as lap times, temps, wheel speed, RPM, pressures, GPS etc etc. It's a real trick piece of kit.

And with all that information you can make pretty graphs like this...

In all seriousness the data is so useful for understanding how the car is working and also improving your driving. Lap overlaying and sector analysis can help you find those extra few tenths of a second.

Reactions: phil76, Dean_T, S3Alex and 1 other person
That dash is another on my wish list.

Keep it coming

These have only been made for this particular model. How different are the front wings on the sport back? I guess we would need one in the workshop to offer it up and take a closer look really.
The wings on the 3 door and sportback are identical. the front end on both cars are the same so parts are interchangeable. its only when you get to the doors and wing mirrors where things start changing.

Havent seen this for a while! Awesome work, truly awesome!!

I take it you have no record of the hrs spent on this car? lol :scared2::ninja:

arent RS3 wings wider and carbon?

looks wicked....needs 700 hp though!

Thanks Micky.
I think you are right about the RS3 wings but I don't think they will fit because the headlight looks a different shape.

The power to weight ratio should be okay so fingers crossed we wont be under powered. But if we are lacking a few ponies the engine is built to handle big power so we could always go down the route of a bigger turbo. Never say never.

Reactions: Sevv
The wings on the 3 door and sportback are identical. the front end on both cars are the same so parts are interchangeable. its only when you get to the doors and wing mirrors where things start changing.

His is a facelift sportback and I thought that the wings were different between the 8P2 and 8P3(facelift)..

Yes they are different on 8p2 to 8p3 but there was no mention of facelift in the comment I replied to. Main difference is that the 8p3 no longer has wing indicators and the headlight cutout is slightly different.

I'm pleased to say that just before Christmas we were able to start and run the S3 for the first time in over two years!

We finally got to the stage where we could start it (all though it does now have x2 accelerator pedals and x2 clutch pedals! We haven't sorted out the wiring yet for the pedal box so we connected the standard clutch and throttle pedal so it would go) and it was great to hear it run.

Hopefully by the end of the month or the beginning of next month we can sort the last of the wiring and then get the car on the dyno to run the motor in. I'll try and get a video put together and upload it.

P.S happy new year everyone.

Well done!

BTW...how did you hook up your AIM dash?

Very good read! Looking forward to seeing for video's of it? :p

Reactions: Backdraft Motorsport
It works with canbus but needs immobilizer defeat

Thanks very much as always.

It's one of the things on my list,but I think the manifold is coming first.

Good luck with the car and getting it running on the track.