backbox/muffler delete

Steven.c

Auto-Motive Restored Deatail
Reaction score
Hi all, whats ur opinions on a backbox/muffler delete. I want a louder exhaust worth a more sporty noise but i dont see the point spending over 300 when the Downpipe is the most restrictive part. some might say it sounds like a tank.

Ive already took the centre section off and replaced it for a TDI one but it hasn't made a difference at all?

cheers
steve

do you have a s3 or a3? if.its a a3 you can get a down pipe for under 100 quid.now a big difference to sound and performance. if you want a sporty sound and aftermarket exhaust is needed

if you want loud. just run off the DP/de-cat. will be very loud will give some loud pops and bangs (my centre sleeve broke the other night) its crazy loud lol

nah mate you need some kind of box to resonate the sound, or it really doesnt sound cool. Get rid of the centre box, decat and downpipe should give you what you want

ive got no centre box i put a tdi one on it. im just getting bored of a silent car as all my other cars had straight through.

I got hold of an S3 backbox for £20 to cut up and play with. Going to use a sleeve to step up from the backbox to 3" piping as I already have a 3" DP and de-cat.

3ba6a350.jpg

8f47d9b4.jpg

If the cats still fitted thats where you need to put your attention.

A good downpipe and a sportcat or decat should make a fair bit of difference

fitting a 3DP/de-cat made no difference in noise with the standard exhaust sytem on

It did on my S3 mate. Maybe it's different on the A3.

Mine is well throaty now, love it.

I can confirm this. Noise feels like its coming right through the floor when you boot it and sounded nice to say you have that gay stock (de)cat back zorst still on it.

It did on my S3 mate. Maybe it's different on the A3.

Mine is well throaty now, love it.

Good! Although the s3 sounds pretty aggressive as standard as far as exhaust noise is concerned. But I'm gona keep an eye on you build thread on how you get on with modding the back box.

Good! Although the s3 sounds pretty aggressive as standard as far as exhaust noise is concerned. But I'm gona keep an eye on you build thread on how you get on with modding the back box.

This is a fair bit louder. Lovely sound from 3K revs upwards.

I should be attacking that backbox this month. I'm going to see how it is just with 3" pipe before I hack it up as Karl's hacked one is too loud he said.

I'll get some vids :eyebrows:

Yours last night probably sounded louder than my Jetex on idle.

The extra 3" piping should increase it a touch with any luck. Bigger bore pipework usually does.

Yours last night probably sounded louder than my Jetex on idle.

The extra 3" piping should increase it a touch with any luck. Bigger bore pipework usually does.

That's all DP and decat noise, it is a nice improvement.

Not only will I be expanding the pipe from the decat to the backbox but I'll also be removing that tiny silencer that's just before the box. This should make it sound very nice.

I have done this on my 1.8t q it makes a huge differance from inside the car it sounds like a reno sport 225 with the 'wooshing' sound but it sounds good and i get the occasionall pop/bang :) its 3" back from where the original back box was still hidden comes down where the original outlet was. just a temp fix till i go full custom

I got hold of an S3 backbox for £20 to cut up and play with. Going to use a sleeve to step up from the backbox to 3" piping as I already have a 3" DP and de-cat.

3ba6a350.jpg

8f47d9b4.jpg

Really old I know but did you ever mod the back box westy??? Interested to know as I want more of a sound from my standards s3 system but don't want to spend £500

Really old I know but did you ever mod the back box westy??? Interested to know as I want more of a sound from my standards s3 system but don't want to spend £500

Yeh likewise was looking to do the same on my 2001 s3?

I have a 3inch downside/decat, milltek resonated centerpipe and no back box just a pipe that I welded up to replace the back box and in my opinion sounds awesome.

And loud!!! Lol
Drive by vids yet danny?
Also trackday noise limits over here concern me!!