back wheel squilling like a pig. (on and off)

Jay-a3

Reaction score
Hello! So my s3 has developed a squilling wheel for some time now. Iv tried cleaning pads and disks but still the same. Also after a 30min blitz down the local road, when i got home i could barely touch the back wheel it was ao hot!!
Any tips on a diy fix? Cheers

Did you re grease the caliper pins when you cleaned the pads to ensure they slide freely?

Reactions: Jay-a3
sounds maybe like a seized caliper but not seized fully on..had this on my front passenger side caliper...horrible high pitched noise and roasting hot disc too!

Hi,

I have what I think is exactly the same problem on my A3 sportback. Near side rear wheel red hot to the touch and squealing noise. Had an Audi service on Friday and they found broken near side front coil spring (which I replaced at local garage) but I still noticed last night the occasional squeal. After reading this post I checked the wheels and sure enough the offside rear is so hot I can't touch it.

Is there a straight forward fix that I can do myself?

Regards,

Richard

Got the same here,im just going to change the caliper, £45.00 ebay
Slight bind on the rear right, ive already tried cleaning it once before.

Is it a hard job to do? Might try pop by a kwik fit or something to get a free check try to see what's causing it

Hi,

I have what I think is exactly the same problem on my A3 sportback. Near side rear wheel red hot to the touch and squealing noise. Had an Audi service on Friday and they found broken near side front coil spring (which I replaced at local garage) but I still noticed last night the occasional squeal. After reading this post I checked the wheels and sure enough the offside rear is so hot I can't touch it.

Is there a straight forward fix that I can do myself?

Regards,

Richard

Had a new rear caliper and pads on mine. Fixed the problem!

I got new pads and discs about 2 years ago / 12,000 miles ish they have done. How much do you think it would be roughly if I need new calliper from a garage? I guess pads on both sides if one needs doing too?

If u didn't need pads i guess yeah. Im sure its feesable to change yourself but i just dindnt have the time!hope u get it sorted

Cheers mate. Yeah don't have time or the skills I'm afraid. Ill see what happens tomorrow!

Went to Kwik Fit today. Surprised at good service. They investigated problem and found that the calliper would not wind all the way back in. They stripped calliper down and tried to give it a clean out to see if that would resolve it but it wouldn't. They let me come out to workshop to have a look myself too. So new calliper needed in end. £133 fitted. First one they got in leaked so had to wait for a second part. Also had to go back to have breaks re-bled as had spongy brake pedal afterward but they sorted it straight away. Assuming all is well for next few days then reasonable priced job done.

Wow suppriesed at that price!although i bet I'm they have replaced ot with a cheap caliper!!

I'm pretty sure it's TRW one from Eurocarparts as they showed me screen when checking size of it. I don't really know much about them or if it's a good make but looked one of more expensive retail ones when you look at the site yourself