Back from the Nurburg Ring!!!!

ianhowell

Reaction score
Website
www.northloop.co.uk
WOW! what an experience. I will do a proper write up in a few days but wanted to let you all know my initial thoughts.
Basically I loved the place!
The whole trip went to plan with no problems. Had a great crossing on the Ferry followed by a smooth run to Germany through Belgium and Holland. The Satnav plus was outstanding making the journey so easy. The hotel was easy to find and very good. Steak, chips and a beer on arrival was ordered for my girlfriend and I as we talked some others about The Ring. Next Morning up and early and down to the ticket office to get my 12 lap ticket by 8am. Within a few mins I was out on my 1st lap, ESP off, DSG in manual and foot planted.

Some time latter I arrive under a gantry I recognised from top gear and it was all over (no time taken as advised not to). My lap was over and what an experience. The Car performed brilliantly. Over the next few days I got quicker both from learning the track but also from the confidence the car gave. The grip from the tyres was pretty good and the Quattro system came into its own even though it was dry. The V6 was smooth and punchy allowing me to have plenty of fun. By the end of the weekend I had worn out the front tyres but the rest of car was as new. The DSG was fantastic and overall handling was neutral.
We saw lots of different vehicles ranging from all sorts of motorbikes, normal cars, modded cars, special prep cars, exotic cars, race cars, the EVO 8min BMW, Sabine in the Ring taxi, to a COACH full of tourists. Yes we saw accidents, and yes some people did get hurt, I believe one possible death. All of which were very sobering but it didn't detract from what an experience the whole place is.
If you are thinking about going stop thinking and just do it! It doesn't matter what you drive, as my late Father once told me "it's not what you drive, it's how you drive it" and this is very true for the ring. I was in a Clio Cup and sailed passed lots of other so called faster cars because the driver new the track and used the full potential of the Clio. Petrol or diesel doesn't matter to start, just leran the track. I got a ride in a 1.6 1series BMW that left other cars. As a certain advert says....

Just Do It!!!

Taken from the bridge at Adenau?

Just look at those tyre marks to the left of the track, the one's that go straight on... scary place on occasions.

Kev.

Top place ain't it. I'm there from the 10th to the 13th.

(People can still join my group if they want!)

[ QUOTE ]
Top place ain't it. I'm there from the 10th to the 13th.

(People can still join my group if they want!)

[/ QUOTE ]

Please stop... I really can't justify another trip this soon...

Kev.

Sounds great, its seems its somewhere I need to go ......
Do I take the car or go on the bike though?

[ QUOTE ]

http://www.streamload.com/ianh26/EL/2UHHZCGK3B/at_the_ring_01.JPG

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Here's a shot from my trip to the Ring back in July, taken from pretty much the same spot.
http://moogie.idle.fi/audi/view.php?gid=6&phid=0

Have to agree with everything Ian said. Personally I would not go there on a bike, way too risky in my oppinion. A car can be just as much fun - and, most importantly, much safer.

Have fun, drive safe! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Great write up IAN /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Takes guts to drive the Ring as you get silly idiots there as well as us /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Great pic as well /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Thanks for the writeup and pics!

It seems avery time I plan a run to the 'ring I have to cancel for some reason or other... It's driving me nuts! In the meantime, I keep reading the Euro Circuit Guide's 70 pages on the 'ring, as well as "drive" it with the playstation ;-)

Can't wait to get there!!!!

[ QUOTE ]
Sounds great, its seems its somewhere I need to go ......
Do I take the car or go on the bike though?

[/ QUOTE ]

Got to be the bike,every time.
I've been round many a track on a bike,and a couple in cars (not my own though).
No comparison,doesn't matter which track.
The cars seem slow and uninvolving.
Bike bike bike ! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bravo.gif

Maybe do what a mate does and hire a van to take the bike there though,just in case. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

I've heard of some real horror stories about bikes at the ring, and seen some pretty nasty pictures too.

Most of the Ring veterans say to leave the bike at home due to the indiscriminate turning in of most of the cars.

After seeing a few scarey moments I'd never consider taking a bike to the ring. The mix of cars and bikes is not ideal and although the ring is a race track it has very little in the way of run off areas.

There are often warning triangles left by the side of the track to indicate oil on the surface and often mud on the track where people have come off and dragged the surface back on with them - on a bike there is very little room for error.

Kev.

Too many really good bikers don't go home from the 'ring. If you're near the limit and suddenly theirs oil, muck or an obstruction around the corner then it's game over. There's virtually no run off so not like your normal track.

Bowfer said "The cars seem slow and uninvolving."
Seem is probably the key word as I lap a fair bit quicker in my car than many bikes.

Jaminben said "It seems avery time I plan a run to the 'ring I have to cancel for some reason or other"

So what you doing this weekend? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[ QUOTE ]
I keep reading the Euro Circuit Guide's 70 pages on the 'ring, as well as "drive" it with the playstation ;-)

Can't wait to get there!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

which wheel do you use on your ps2?

I want to get a good one. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

I have a Logitech Driving Force wheel and pedal set. It even works with my PC.

I'm very happy with it. The big 'improvement' with the lastest wheels are they rotate more times like a normal car.

Owning both cars and bikes,I can only speak for myself really,but I have no desire to try the Nurburgring in a car.
I'd love to give it a go on a bike though.
To be honest,I think anyone who owns both would agree.
There is obviously a sense of achievement involved in thrashing anything on a track,but infinitely more so on a bike.
A bit of tyre squeal or the sound/feel of knee slider on tarmac ? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yes.gif

I actually agree with you. However when I've taken bikers round they are always astounded by the G forces in a car. I guess in a bike all the forces go down from the riders perspective i.e. if he's upright the force is straight down, if he's cranked over then it's still "down" through the bike it's just leaning over.

In the car you get lateral g force much more plus of course the harder later braking.

I think one of the main differences (apart from exposure to the elements) is that bikers are always at a greater risk and hence the rush is bigger. In a car, it's quite obvious when you're near the limit as skids, squeals etc let you know. Often on a bike (for a normal rider) by this point it's game over.

This pic was taken 4 years ago. The big smile and thumbs up belongs to a Blackbird owner. He offered me a ride round on his which I politely declined.
compressed.jpg

ScoTTy,

thanks for the info - I've seen a few of those so will probably get one.

By the way, is that photgraph a sepia shot.....taken with that brownie of yours??? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif

ScoTTy, believe me I thought about it, but I will be at work this weekend.

I would nonetheless appreciate a heads-up when you next go.

Cheers!

Myrichdad - The pic was taken by a pro but I've no idea what went wrong. This was also on stock "off road" suspension. It's just that Brunchen really compresses the springs!

Jaminben - I *may* be going back at during October

[ QUOTE ]

Jaminben - I *may* be going back at during October

[/ QUOTE ]

Keep us posted - October is fairly free for me so far.

Kev.