Back brake help please

s3gazz

Reaction score
Well for a wile now my drivers side back brake has not been working.

Today I fit my back kw Coilovers and at the same time tryed to release the ambrake cable wish was seized open so took the metal thing that closes and opens when u pull your ambrake up and release took it off cleaned and put back on slackened ambrake and put back together. Then drove home and felt it pulling back as if it's locked on now so to me the caliper is working when I got home the disc was glowing red and smelt of burning bad.

Can anyone tell me what's up or has anyone had same problem and solved it cheers

Handbrake not ambrake works on a ratchet system, so if you've manually worked it you've probably clamped tight the rear brakes, hence the glowing disk. When you pull the handbrake it manually pushes the calliper/pads against the disk. As the pads wear the handbrake ratchet will at some point click to the next notch and thus auto tighten. What you've done is ratchet it up notch after notch clamping the brake against the disk. Only way to fix is to reset the rear brake calipers by winding the piston back in. Have a search on how to do this.

Thanks guy I did take the ratchet thing off the spindle and put back on few turns round when I do release the handbrake it's as if the cable don't go back As you have said cheers can I not take it off and turn don't a few again