B9 A4/S4 - Little Surprises

How ridiculously difficult (if not impossible) to remove a CD / DVD without touching the underside.

The fact that there is no indication on the dash that your lights are on. (Unless you're on main beam).

Reactions: Rob_F and CGaggia
Doesn't the light switch illuminate, not really in the sight of view but I got used to looking at it with my A3...

Next to the dial they go green when sides or full are on. If you have them off and it's a bit dark, you get a warning (well I did anyway)

Doesn't the light switch illuminate, not really in the sight of view but I got used to looking at it with my A3...
Yes, you are spot on.
But as you say, it is `hidden` behind the steering wheel and I have not noticed it before. I'll look out for it in the future.
Many thanks for your response.
Regards
Mike.

Reactions: cuke2u
My car did something new for the first time Saturday

Got in the car to go home from a haircut, it popped up on the centre screen 'Are you heading to "Home Address"? There is a 17 minute delay. Would you like a route guidance to start?'

This is without me touching anything to do with the nav at all. The car just predicted I was heading home and gave me the traffic update of the normal / quickest route.

Blew my mind.... and saved me 20 minutes. I looked up the delay when I got home and true enough, there was roadworks where they had closed a lane off the dual carriage way and put in temporary lights.

Reactions: duckduck, sbour, Thundercliffe81 and 2 others
The front courtesy light only comes on with the side you've opened the door. So opening the drivers door means only the right one illuminates..

Reactions: Rob_F
The front courtesy light only comes on with the side you've opened the door. So opening the drivers door means only the right one illuminates..
Sounds the biz.
Must be because you have the S Line, my SE doesn't do that.

If you can get them working that is. MY2016 still a contentious issue...

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
Worked ok sending them from my desktop PC, it did fail to download them onto the sat nav on the first attempt but worked ok on the second...

Sounds the biz.
Must be because you have the S Line, my SE doesn't do that.

Can confirm our Sport does this also, so would have thought an SE should too but would need to delve into specs from PDF to find that out.

Reactions: cuke2u
That you don't have to use exact specific commands for the voice control.
For example, I've been experimenting with how many ways you can set the sat nav to home destination.
Home.
Take me home.
Drive home.
Gonna try "Home James" next

There's a button just above the rear fog-lights button.
According to the manual its an All Weather Lights button, that adjusts automatically so that you are not dazzled.
Never come across such a thing before...does anyone know what it does exactly?
Many thanks.
Mike.

There's a button just above the rear fog-lights button.
According to the manual its an All Weather Lights button, that adjusts automatically so that you are not dazzled.
Never come across such a thing before...does anyone know what it does exactly?
Many thanks.
Mike.
Google Audi all weather lights and you'll find other forums where posters have theorised as to what these are. It seems that they light up an extra wide area - and that's certainly what I found when I switched mine on - which means they are probably in lieu of fog lights. Others have commented that they find them useful in dark country lanes and that is where I have used them. I haven't had to drive in fog yet so I can't comment on how effective they are in that regard. I also read that in other vehicles they are configured to point in the direction of turn.

Google Audi all weather lights and you'll find other forums where posters have theorised as to what these are. It seems that they light up an extra wide area - and that's certainly what I found when I switched mine on - which means they are probably in lieu of fog lights. Others have commented that they find them useful in dark country lanes and that is where I have used them. I haven't had to drive in fog yet so I can't comment on how effective they are in that regard. I also read that in other vehicles they are configured to point in the direction of turn.
Thank you so much `wideboybloke`.
I'll think of them as front fog lights and see how I get on.
Regards
Mike.

I think that to be effective as front fog lights they need to be lower down as with the B8, so I'm guessing that's why they don't call them fog lights.
I don't recall ever being in a situation in 30 years of driving where front fog lights actually made any difference.
Plus it's a pet hate of mine when people drive with them on in normal conditions.
I think it's just switches the turn adaptive lighting to on as wideboy has said

Well, I don't have `adaptive lighting` so it can't be that.
I went out this evening in the dark and these lights certainly made a difference.
So pleased I found the button and asked the question.
Thanks, All.
Regards
Mike.

It's to combat glare from your own headlights on wet roads.

On the subject of headlights, I drove my wife's Seat Ibiza last night over a distance of about 70 miles and in wet weather. It has halogen headlights and the difference from the LEDs on my A4 (and the xenons on my A3 before that) was remarkable. It shows how improved technology does make a difference and how we become spoilt by it!

I think I'll struggle to feel safe driving my partner's fiesta with halogen lights now, the A3's xenon's were far better but the matrix led's on my A4 are a wonder...

Reactions: duckduck
Thank you so much `wideboybloke`.
I'll think of them as front fog lights and see how I get on.
Regards
Mike.
Today I crouched in front of my car and got an assistant to switch on the all weather lights. They are underneath the headlamp bulb/led thing and have 3 louvres that point out to the side. They are therefore clearly designed to give extra illumination to the outer edge of the headlamp beam. It would be interesting to know what Audi think they do!

Reactions: maui
I've seem mine illuminate plenty of times when slowing and taking a corner - it's a nice touch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: duckduck and iambu
More than likely they play there part in the led auto headlamps and are switched onto a different mode when the all weather light button is pressed..

Got in the car to go home from a haircut, it popped up on the centre screen 'Are you heading to "Home Address"? There is a 17 minute delay. Would you like a route guidance to start?'

This is without me touching anything to do with the nav at all. The car just predicted I was heading home and gave me the traffic update of the normal / quickest route.

Blew my mind.... and saved me 20 minutes. I looked up the delay when I got home and true enough, there was roadworks where they had closed a lane off the dual carriage way and put in temporary lights.
That must be the extended MMI, the standard one doesn't do it.

Another nice feature (which lets face it is probably in the manual) is there is you can toggle the display on the Virtual Cockpit using the left hand roller button on the steering wheel. One of the nice features is the "long term memory option" - which in effect gives you the fuel consumption, hours behind the wheel etc since you pressed reset. (As you can see, the car predominantly runs on urban roads...)
IMG 20161113 0812263601
IMG 20161113 0812478361

@DavidL - also if you are not already aware - if you press the right button (next to left scroll wheel) in the additional display you can specify an item to show in the middle of the dial in large view.
It also keeps that item there when you have large dials in map view.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: DavidL
Whilst trying out the parallel park assist today I was surprised that it doesn't actually brake for you. This seems very odd, as it knows how close it is to obstacles and will beep at you to tell you to brake - even though it is capable of braking itself (as it does in speed limiter mode and adaptive cruise / city braking etc). I won't be using the feature much so it won't bother me day to day, but just a warning to others - it will quite happily let you bump into something with the parking mode activated!

Reactions: Ytterligare, gbrown and Jcbmally
Yeah, I had this on my focus, I used it a couple of times just to show if off, but that was all. As you state it only finds a parking spot and only turns the steering wheel...

The rear wiper button has a tiny led to show it's on.
Hadn't noticed till now as it's not visible unless you lean right forward (or unless you drive like one of those people I see who sit about an inch away from the steering wheel!)
It's all a little pointless really as there is a more prominent way to tell if your rear wiper is on......

Reactions: iambu
The rear wiper button has a tiny led to show it's on.
Hadn't noticed till now as it's not visible unless you lean right forward (or unless you drive like one of those people I see who sit about an inch away from the steering wheel!)
It's all a little pointless really as there is a more prominent way to tell if your rear wiper is on......

I didn't know this, will have to check it out!

I have an S Line and on the left side of the Deluxe automatic air conditioner controls where the passenger heated seat button would be if I had it as an option there is what looks like an led but I have never seen it lit. It is shown on that button in Fig. 105 on page 85 of the manual but I can't find any mention of it in the manual. Does anyone know what this is for?

It's a sensor of some sorts I think, but where they place it if you have heated seats I don't know...

Reactions: Tankman
It's a sensor of some sorts I think, but where they place it if you have heated seats I don't know...

In the manual it shows the same little 'nipple' actually on the button for the passenger heated seat.

Now that's flipping mega!

Reactions: PhxViper
I have an S Line and on the left side of the Deluxe automatic air conditioner controls where the passenger heated seat button would be if I had it as an option there is what looks like an led but I have never seen it lit. It is shown on that button in Fig. 105 on page 85 of the manual but I can't find any mention of it in the manual. Does anyone know what this is for?

I'd wondered what this was also, figured it might be an LED which flashes when the car is locked (like the one on the drivers door top I think) but don't ever recall seeing it light up either...?

Pretty sure the LED/nipple is a light sensor for the climate control, it allows it to check if there's a lot of sunlight in the cabin and increase the air flow if there is. It could also be a thermometer to read the cabin temperature.

Last two cars I've had (Seat Leon mk2, Seat Leon mk3) have both had climate control and both had these somewhere in the centre console.

Reactions: maui and NickGun