B8 S4 Avant - Possible High Milage Purchase :-/???

QuattroJHT

Reaction score
Hi, :sign imnew:

As per title, I'm now in the market for an S4 B8, I always loved the look and sound of the B7 S4 Avant but the horror stories of timing chains and even more shocking mpg kept me held back somewhat! hence the hunt for the better spec latter B8 car (with no stupid arm rest/equally pants sat nav!) and slightly more fuel efficient too ( I hear????). I have a budget of £12-13K but I seem to be in the "bigger mileage range" (100-130K), cars are ranging from 2009-2012 for this money and typically also with 100k+ mileage, all but a couple that i've looked at have had full main dealer service history and look and sound great on face value, so my questions are....

1. Is 100000-150000 miles actually that bad? they dont record miles on airplanes!
2. Are there any owners out there of S4 B8's with BIG milage on them? any issues/things to look out for?
3. What issues would/could be expected buying one with +100K ( with a FSH car)
4. Real world MPG ( i'll be only covering 25 per day)
5. Manual or aut0? I hear the auto is like 8K+ plus to have rebuilt?!? WTF...
6. Anyone driving a high milage car that's been mapped??

Any feed back would be gratefully received :nogarors4:

95k on mine now, had MRC stage 2 for 25k.

Had a compression test done a couple of months ago and came back all fine. Needed a refurbished mech unit at 92k, other than that its had no issues

Ok, sounds good, what kind of mpg are you achieving?

I'd be inclined to go manual TBH.The B8 seems to have more failures on the Stronic box than the revised B8.5

I see 25-35 mpg depending on distance and my right foot! S4 avant with dsg and stage 1+

Your in the same boat I was in 6 months ago. Couldn't quite stretch to the S4 B8.
I now have the A6 s line with the same engine, if slightly detuned. It's done over 100k and runs really well.
There was a oil issue when I purchased it that only reared it's head once I'd covered 800 miles or so, but Audi changed the software on the ecu for £70, and it has mainly sorted it.
I'm having it mapped on Friday morning. That will take it up to 440 ish bhp from 290 bhp.
It's as smooth as silk to drive, the tiptronic box has never missed a beat as far as I know, and it's a proper animal when you go full throttle.

Brad.

Reactions: xpoweruk
95k on mine now, had MRC stage 2 for 25k.

Had a compression test done a couple of months ago and came back all fine. Needed a refurbished mech unit at 92k, other than that its had no issues

How much did the refurbished mech unit cost? Thats the only thing that worries me about getting it tuned, had the car for 1 month s4 b8 60 plate with 44k miles, i'd like to go stage 1/1+ within the next few weeks..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How much did the refurbished mech unit cost? Thats the only thing that worries me about getting it tuned, had the car for 1 month s4 b8 60 plate with 44k miles, i'd like to go stage 1/1+ within the next few weeks..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

£1000, then you need to sort fitting and fluids out.
Tuned or not, if it's going to fail, it will fail regardless.

£1000, then you need to sort fitting and fluids out.
Tuned or not, if it's going to fail, it will fail regardless.

Where did you get this refurbished, for future reference of course.

Shak

1. Is 100000-150000 miles actually that bad? they dont record miles on airplanes!

It's not really bad by modern standards, however on older cars the S Tronic can be weak, so double check.

2. Are there any owners out there of S4 B8's with BIG milage on them? any issues/things to look out for?

As above. Check that the car has had all oil checks on the gearbox done at the very lease. These should be 38k, 76k, 114k etc. otherwise your warranty will be void.

3. What issues would/could be expected buying one with +100K ( with a FSH car)

Mech Unit £2000, Gearbox and Mech £10000 at Audi prices. I'm currently having the gearbox and mech unit changed. Car missed it's vital 38k service so there is an issue. Car currently still with Audi after 3.5 months.

4. Real world MPG ( i'll be only covering 25 per day)

About 23 MPG for me. Mostly town, bit of motorway

5. Manual or aut0? I hear the auto is like 8K+ plus to have rebuilt?!? WTF...

See above

6. Anyone driving a high milage car that's been mapped??

COuldn't answer that one

I've bought my S4 on 80k with fully confidence it will last the length I own the car as long as I look after it (I've got the 6MT so cannot comment on the S-Tronic)

My colleague however has just bought a modified B8 avant with just under 100k miles off of a member on here, looking at history of the car it was modded to stage 2 around 55k miles, and it's still going strong 45k miles later with no hiccups at all.

I'm a firm believer in bigger engines lasting long due to not being as stressed as much as a smaller engine car for example, but that's just my own opinion.

Reactions: xpoweruk and Roadrunner146
Bought my 2009 b8 S4 Avant four years ago with 72k on it, now has 132k on and never missed a beat until last Easter when I had to have the clutch slave cylinder replaced. 3.0 litre V6 tfsi in Meteor Grey Metallic paint, Red/Black Supersport leather electric seating, 6 speed manual transmission, 19" twin spoke alloys (need refurb), Sat Nav (2013 maps), Drive Select, Sport Diff, rear parking sensors, cruise control, B&O sound/6 cd multichanger, usual xenon lights and DRL's. Privacy blinds fitted. Serviced at Starperformance in Dysart, Fife, due in May with MOT at same time.

Probably missed something, but can't think what.
So what's not so good?
Road Tax £500+pa,
Mileage 132k
Alloys need a refurb.

Reactions: xpoweruk
Bought my 2009 b8 S4 Avant four years ago with 72k on it, now has 132k on and never missed a beat until last Easter when I had to have the clutch slave cylinder replaced. 3.0 litre V6 tfsi in Meteor Grey Metallic paint, Red/Black Supersport leather electric seating, 6 speed manual transmission, 19" twin spoke alloys (need refurb), Sat Nav (2013 maps), Drive Select, Sport Diff, rear parking sensors, cruise control, B&O sound/6 cd multichanger, usual xenon lights and DRL's. Privacy blinds fitted. Serviced at Starperformance in Dysart, Fife, due in May with MOT at same time.

Probably missed something, but can't think what.
So what's not so good?
Road Tax £500+pa,
Mileage 132k
Alloys need a refurb.

How come the road tax is £500? Forgive my naivety as I have a 2010 saloon but it's a B8 too and only £295?

How come the road tax is £500? Forgive my naivety as I have a 2010 saloon but it's a B8 too and only £295?

My manual is £295 too,but some are in a higher tax bracket