B8 rear vents don't like auto and auto wipers don't clear screen prior to moving off from condensati

B79MJW

Reaction score
Guys.

Can anyone shed any light on the fact that in auto mode it seems to ignore the central floor rear vents. Pop it in a manual mode for central vents and it works? Am I missing something in my MMI setup here?

Manual is less than useless in this respect

Anyone else noticed this quirk in the HVAC system.

Also why do the auto wipers not swipe across the screen to remove surface water prior to setting off seems speed depandant? The system.is superb on the move but on start up it's like you have to force a swipe first.

Other than that loving the 3.0 TDI.

Also why do the auto wipers not swipe across the screen to remove surface water prior to setting off seems speed depandant? The system.is superb on the move but on start up it's like you have to force a swipe first.

I have this too, annoying isn't it. :) I tend to leave the wipers off and then flick them to auto when I need them. They just don't seem to kick start properly if you leave them on.

Yeah the wife's golf from the same year does swipe tho when still. Weird. The rear vents seems to be a common question on the forums with auto mode being the culprit. With dash vents mode or dash and lower selected they work fine.

Audi never seem to nail auto mode my A4 B6 had quirks aswell in relation to auto that other people said was a design issue!

The rear vents has a temp control on that seems to make no difference aswell biting changes in MMI window are they just for show lol

Auto in the winter, doesn't use central vents that much. Even central console vents is usually not used, since the windows is priority numero Uno in low degree temperatures. That is a very good thing for me. Audi has been smart in this regard. Central vents is a good thing in the summertime, but not needed in winter.

And the wipers is thankfully not starting automatic just because you start the car. If they are frozen, they will burn up. Another thing that Audi I smart to neglect.

Any idea where the wiper sensor is or how it works? Mine seems less sensitive than it used to be so now have it on its highest setting.

It's a gel pad behind the rear view mirror mount
The gel pad dries out I think causing the sensor behind to be less.... err... well sensitive lol

Reactions: forty3
Yeah my gel pad seems to be discolouring and breaking away. It's original glass on a early b8 2008. How much of a job is changing the pad?

Weirdly all my auto functions seem.fine tho and work as should now I know that the wipers shouldn't swipe on startup. Sensitivity seems fine when adjusted on the stalk.

Mark.