B8 Dpf Delete Anyone Done It

antowens

Car Nut
Reaction score
As above has anyone deleted the dpf for what ever reason weather it be performance or because it blocked so on

Just intersted in what people have done

PLEASE NOTE NO B/S ABOUT EMISSIONS AND DVLA I AM JUST ASKING !!!!!

Reactions: Gaz170
Not yet but definetly on the to do list for me
It'll not be performance issue for me more 1 less dam part to worry about then Revo'd

Reactions: dantdi and antowens
Not yet but definetly on the to do list for me
It'll not be performance issue for me more 1 less dam part to worry about then Revo'd

What way you planning on doing it chop it and gut it then re weld it or a delete pipe

The delete pipes i believe are now illegal

Desterstorm on here has done his 3.0tdi b8 A4 avant

Custom live map from rick at unicorn and yielded 312bhp and over 500 lbs ft of torque

Look for his build thread

Reactions: antowens
What way you planning on doing it chop it and gut it then re weld it or a delete pipe

The delete pipes i believe are now illegal
going to be gutted & re-weld

Reactions: antowens
:faint: ****** hell !!
I've done my A6 3.0tdi Quattro, used a mates garage for the ramp, took me an 1:10hrs to bring the car in, remove the cat and dpf, smash though one and cut open the other and remove the guts, re-weld the latter, refit and drive out
I then had the car remapped that evening using Sedox Performance software - this was stage 2 remap with dpf deleted and EGR deleted (generic no custom live mapped)

Let's say I rented the ramp for 1.5 hours (being generous), with the remap the whole lots cost me less than £300 all in !!

My car is going on the rollers next weekend, I'm expecting around 290/300 bhp and 440/450 lbs-ft
My econ is greatly improved
My drivability is hugely better
And I get ZERO visible smoke

Where ever you're getting your DPF delete done maybe qualify with them exactly the costs and a break down

My car being a 3.0 and a very similar size chassis to your B8 chassis the space to work is very similar
Just food for thought

Tom

Not too sure about the A6 but the A4 2.0tdi isn't an hour job as been told by people who have done it its a very labour intensive job to do as in a full days work to drop sub frame etc etc

The DPF on the 2.0 TDI is tucked above the gearbox and as you say above then subframe so on not and easy job

The DPF on the B8 3.0 TDI is a PITA to get out compared to a lot of cars. It sits at the back of the engine and requires removal of parts of the plenum chamber to get it out as well as some right fiddly nuts on the down pipe so you aren't comparing apples with apples.
As for the remap Rick does at Unicorn we spent several hours doing acceleration runs and altering the map till I was happy with it.
So I was very happy with the £600 I paid for the job he did. If you are able to do the job yourself and have access to somebody who can map it cheaply then you are always going to get it done cheaper.

http://www.supersprint.com/de/doc-s...d_out_which_version_of_the_downpipe_fits.aspx

Karl.

Reactions: V6 Quatt
would love to get this done but worried about MOT issues :ermm:

At the moment the dpf is a visual check so as long as the dpf is physically there ilecen if its been welded or what ever its fine it will still pass emissions tests because the cat is still there but if you get a straight through pipe it will be a fail

I have removed my back box already as it was easier to fit custom tail pipes on, so theres a straight pipe from the tail pipes to the mid box. Would this raise suspicions for them?

As long as the dpf is there physically they cant not pass it mate they aren't aloud to remove parts to check so on so it will pass an mot

As long as the dpf is there physically they cant not pass it mate they aren't aloud to remove parts to check so on so it will pass an mot

Not true, I know a guy with a Seat Leon FR, he had the DPF gutted and a re map last year after having problems. The car recently failed it's MOT because the tester suspected it had been tampered with, he pointed out the filthy tail pipes and the soot on the back bumper which would have been clean on a DPF equipped car and failed it. He is now going through the costly exercise of replacing the filter. As the fail is logged with VOSA he's stuffed, as no other tester will risk passing it. If he appealed it would fail, so unless he replaces the filter the car is as good as scrap.

Not true, I know a guy with a Seat Leon FR, he had the DPF gutted and a re map last year after having problems. The car recently failed it's MOT because the tester suspected it had been tampered with, he pointed out the filthy tail pipes and the soot on the back bumper which would have been clean on a DPF equipped car and failed it. He is now going through the costly exercise of replacing the filter. As the fail is logged with VOSA he's stuffed, as no other tester will risk passing it. If he appealed it would fail, so unless he replaces the filter the car is as good as scrap.

That wasnt my umderstanding from the Mot tester i used who went on a course with VOSA the other week but lets be honest if you were going for an MOT you would use your head and clean this stuff before hand even get it terra cleaned if needs be

If you look at the MOT manual the only grounds for failure are "A catalytic converter or particulate filter missing where one was fitted as standard" it's a visual inspection looking for the actual DPF or Cat.

http://www.motinfo.gov.uk/htdocs/index.htm

If you have removed them completely and replaced with a pipe then they can fail it. If it passes the smoke test then it should pass the MOT.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploa...ata/file/275427/mot-special-notice-1-2014.pdf

"On 16 February 2014 Section 7.1 of the inspection manual will be amended to include a check for the
presence of catalysts and particulate filters on diesel powered vehicles. Any vehicle where a catalytic
converter or particulate filter is missing where one was fitted as standard will fail the test."

If the bumper has soot on it then it's a poor remap, This is the only time I have heard of somebody failing a test that has had the DPF gutted. There are thousands of cars driving around that have had the DPF's gutted and they are passing MOT's OK.
It's more likely the car has failed the smoke test. I haven't heard of anybody else with a gutted DPF who has failed an MOT.
Mine is due it's MOT in October and I expect it to pass at least on the emission side of it with no issues.

Karl.

hmm strange that something failed on " suspected " terms
unless failed smoke test an proof of being gutted + it's what comes outa the exhaust on the test not whats stuck to a bumper.
A un-washed derv bound to leave some black soot in a few weeks

Last edited:
As long as the DPF is there and it passes the emissions test and the smoke test it will pass you cant fail an MOT on a i think something's up

hmm strange that something failed on " suspected " terms
unless failed smoke test an proof of being gutted + it's what comes outa the exhaust on the test not whats stuck to a bumper.
A un-washed derv bound to leave some black soot in a few weeks

This is 3448 miles of un washed, driven spiritedly 3.0 tdi :

Their is no spotting from soot on the rear of the car at all. The n/s exhaust tip is identical hence the one pic.

Like Karl said, a well mapped car shouldn't smoke, diesel or petrol.

Reactions: Audi33, antowens and Gaz170
I have had the DPF gutted and mapped out, as i had nothing but trouble with it, but it recently went through an MOT with no issues.

My question is what do you do when it is time sell the car?

Definetly be sure the new owner would be please = 1 less thing to worry about

Reactions: ruairi83
I have removed my back box already as it was easier to fit custom tail pipes on, so theres a straight pipe from the tail pipes to the mid box. Would this raise suspicions for them?

Have you got any videos of the exhaust without the back box on i am debating having it done but don't know weather to have the mid box removed to

Have you got any videos of the exhaust without the back box on i am debating having it done but don't know weather to have the mid box removed to
I don't have any but I suppose I could take one on my phone for you. It's definitely louder, especially when the car is cold but it's very subtle, to most they wouldn't notice it

I don't have any but I suppose I could take one on my phone for you. It's definitely louder, especially when the car is cold but it's very subtle, to most they wouldn't notice it

If you wouldn't mind mate i just want a noise with abit more grunt and something make you have a little smile when you plant your foot i know its a diesel and never get same noise as you would from a petrol but

If you wouldn't mind mate i just want a noise with abit more grunt and something make you have a little smile when you plant your foot i know its a diesel and never get same noise as you would from a petrol but
I'll be honest mate, you'll need to do a bit more than just remove the back box if you want a smile on your face, maybe remove your midbox for an even louder effect and possibly the DPF as it does a lot of silencing for the car too.

Like I said the sound is certainly meatier but if you're purposely looking for the sound then remove more boxes and test the sound of the car as you remove each box until you are happy. I wasn't specifically looking to change the would when I was fitting the new tail pipes but they asked me could they remove the back box to give them more room to adjust the tips.

The new A4 CR TDi engine has a very distinctive drone to it, sounds different from the B7 PD TDi, the latter sounding more like a tractor.

I was standing on my drive the other day and heard a car coming and as it got closer I could hear the drone and I said to myself, I bet that's a new A4, and sure enough it was a B8.5.

Removing the boxes on the B7 will give you that 'Pow' sound which is very associated with diesels in the Irish car scene, the new CR engine doesn't do this as far as I know.

I had my 3.0 tdi avant done yesterday at unicorn Motorsport got to say they did a top job. I'm very impressed with the performance of the car. The main reason why I wanted the dpf removed was that sometimes the car can do a few short journeys and the short journeys are not good for the car with a dpf. So glad I got it removed.