B8.5 S4 Resonated X-pipe - anyone done this?

forty3

Reaction score
Like lots of S4 owners I'm after a sportier sound from my exhaust but don't want the expense of a full system that offers little in the way of performance gains.

I was looking at replacing the centre silencer with an x-pipe but apparently this makes it very loud and drones on the motorway on DSG cars.

This led me to finding a resonated centre silencer from magnaflow which can be fitted instead. There are some youtube videos about and the exhaust sounds decent but I was wondering if anyone here had any first hand experience of the resonated x-pipe mod?

You could also consider a H Pipe

Seems like a bit of a waste of time to me, the standard centre silencer already balences both sides of the V6 and the xpipe mod is so you can remove the silencers for extra sound but still have the banks of cylinders balanced

You would be better swapping back boxes if your just after a bit more sound, I wouldn't worry about performance as Your not going to notice any different from an exhuat mod

Just my opinion though mate

Reactions: V6_Man
Below is what I would do if I was going to do the front resonator delete.
You may find that the X-Pipe will only fit in place of the resonator though, so space may dictate where it has to go

The H-Pipe should help reduce drone from the X-Pipe

0d7fa788 3fb1 4a30 ba01 5a8545c39071

Last edited:
Reactions: V6_Man
That's not an x pipe it's just a centre box

Looks like a straight through flow without baffles so youd get a slightly different sound and possibly more drone from my experience with the exhaust on the s4

if you want noise with less drone back boxes might be a better option

Another option of your after more sound is to remove the down pipe silencers this was the first thing I done on mine before I had the custom system fitted and it give a bit more high up noise but didn't cause too much more drone

Unfortunately if you want more sound your going to need to live with a bit more drone it's the nature of the auto box, I think a couple people had been looking into back boxes that gave better sound with minimal drone

Last edited:
Reactions: forty3 and V6_Man