1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

B7 S4 understeer

plkettle Feb 4, 2011

1. plkettle

plkettle New Member

Hi All,

Im a new member that has a B7 S4, I have been finding recently that the amount of understeer is spoiling the driving expirience badly

I have read that the newer S4 models had the transfer box changed to a 60:40 split instead of the 50:50 which probably has solved the issue i am seeing.

Does anyone have any expirience of making the car more RWD biased ? im sick of not being able to get the back out and its the only bad thing i find with the car (apart from the fuel consumption of course)

im not sure if anyone has tried pulling the driveshafts and making it RWD only ? or swapped to a later models 60:40 transfer box ?

Any help would be masssively appreciated,

Thanks,
    Pete

2. AudiSport

AudiSport Member

I can't really help other than to confirm that every review I've read on the B6/B7 S4 states that the understeer is an issue. I think the original Topgear review on the B6 S4 even mentions it! So, I'm sorry to say you may have to learn to live with it - and wind down the window and enjoy that beautiful sound track! ; )

3. S3-N

S3-N ?

Fitting a RS4 rear ARB reduces understeer and doesn't cost much. Some threads on here and other places about it

4. solaris

solaris Member

Out of interest what make and tyre size are you running?

5. Macdoon

Macdoon Well-Known Member Team Ibis TFSI Owners Group Gold Supporter Audi A4 S-line owners group

I had the RS4 RARB fitted a few weeks ago, dramatically reduces understeer, probably the best mod I have done. Cost around £80-90, took 40 mins to fit.
    Highly recommend it.

Mac

6. Fast3000

Fast3000 Member

Tell me more....where from and how? in essex?

7. Macdoon

Macdoon Well-Known Member Team Ibis TFSI Owners Group Gold Supporter Audi A4 S-line owners group

You can buy rom Audi or the price above, my mate's a mechanic in Braintree, he has worked on all my cars or the last 16 years. PM i you want more details.
    Mac

8. Macdoon

Grrr damned F on puter playing up.

9. solaris

solaris Member

There is a company in the states that can change the ratio of the centre differential from the current 2:1 to 4:1. (Note you will need to take out your centre differential and send it to them) What does this mean? ...well The current setup 2:1 diff gives between 33/66 to 66/33 front/rear split. The 4:1 upgrade would allow up to a 20/80 or 80/20 front/rear split. So as you can see the rear torque bias is increased massively.
    JH Motorsport