1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

B7 S4 Realistic fuel economy figures

Discussion in 'Audi S4/A4/A4 Cab (B7 Chassis)' started by Abb, May 11, 2011.

1. Abb

Abb Member

[May 11, 2011]
    Hi, am wanting to purchase a B7 Cabriolet and keep swaying towards the one I have wanted what seems like forever...the S4. Checked out the tax (460) and insurance which is reasonable (was previously running a BMW 535 AC Schnitzer E60), just wanted to know if anyone could shed any light on what sort of mpg I could expect. The published figures I know are not realistic (they never are), and I am a realist so dont expect to be getting anywhere near 30+, but am doing all my homework before taking the plunge to make sure I can afford to keep and run her! Apologies to all those that are thinking I shouldnt be concerned about fuel economy when buying such a car, but I would rather not buy one and have to sell it having found it only does 10mpg, just saving myself the heartache, after all we all have a budget!
    Thanks in advance.
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 20, 2014]

3. drmole

drmole Active Member

[May 11, 2011]
    the way petrol prices are going up mate i think itl be hard to keep runing it if it did do 30+ mpg lol
    stuning choice of car tho id love one hope u do get one n get some nice pics up to see
  4. dsmclark40v

dsmclark40v Member

[May 12, 2011]
    I get around 19-22mpg from mine, have seen 26mpg on the motorway but that was doing 60mph. They do have quite short gearing which tends to kill mpg cruising at around 70+ but I don't find it any worse than my old A4 2.8 tho and it goes like stink
  5. stucker

stucker New Member

[May 19, 2011]
    I bought a 56 plate manual s4 cab a couple of months back and am so glad I did - such a fantastic machine! MPG really isn't as bad as I feared it would be, been averaging around 20 in the city, but when I have taken her on longer motorway journeys it seems to be more like 28. To be fair I had exactly the same worry about poor economy and ever rising fuel costs but managed to justify it to myself as I really don't do all that many miles a year. Plus I was going from a 23 year old 2.5 litre BM and she wasn't much less thirsty! Go for it mate!
  6. drmole

drmole Active Member

[May 19, 2011]
    23 year old bm? didnt know they lasted tha long lol
    na seriously must have been well looked after
    always like proper maintained older cars as its easy to detail a newer car to show standards but alot harder to maintain and detail modern classics
    tdisport likes this.
  7. xs2man

xs2man Member

[May 19, 2011]
    As said, about 18-24 would be normal. I averaged 23 over the last 8000 mile in my B6 S4. Can get 25-27 on the motorway depending on if I'm doing 65 or 80 mph all the way. Automatics are slightly better I hear on motorways because of their gearing, but I suspect worse around town.
  8. Abb

Abb Member

[May 20, 2011]
    Thanks guys for all your replies, just a quick update, picking up the S4 tomorrow!!!