1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

B7 RS4 Flat Bottom Steering Wheel

Discussion in 'RS4 Forum (B5 and B7 Chassis)' started by 20steps, May 4, 2014.

1. 20steps

20steps New Member

[May 4, 2014]
    Hi folks,

I picked myself up a RS4 the other week with all the options I wanted, apart from the flat bottom steering wheel. I can get one from Audi for £650. Is it an easy change over? Will all the controls work on the steering wheel? Will the airbag will go off if you need it?

Thanks in advance
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 23, 2014]

3. PetrolDave

PetrolDave Well-Known Member

[May 4, 2014]
    What steering wheel do you have?
  4. Sandra

Sandra MODERATOR Staff Member Moderator

[May 4, 2014]
    Hi, welcome to audi-sport.net. Where are you located? we have site sponsor NHN who could retrofit steering wheel, he supplies and fits and does travel. May be worth dropping him a pm for price. Enjoy the forum :) x
    NHN likes this.
  5. 20steps

20steps New Member

[May 4, 2014]
    Thanks. I'm based in Edinburgh. I just have the standard non flat bottom RS4 steering wheel.
  6. MartayMcFly

MartayMcFly Well-Known Member Regional Rep VCDS Map User

[May 4, 2014]
    I think the wiring is harder going from flat-bottom wheel to the multi-function wheel, but you should check with NHN to see if there's more to it. You'll need vagcom/VCDS to recode the car to recognise the flat-bottom wheel.
  7. Brodster

Brodster Shark Performance In Scotland Regional Rep Site Sponsor VCDS Map User

[May 4, 2014]
    If you have the standard multi function sterring wheel then it should be a piece of cake as you will already have the correct module and slip ring. If you have then it should be a case of old one off and then new one on. No coding will be needed as all you have done is fit the flat bottomed wheel. I can do this for you and I live just outside Edinburgh and can also scan your car to give it a clean bill of health.

If you have a normal wheel without multi function then its a different story as you will need compatible module and slip ring and recoding via VCDS. NHN should be able to assist in identifying correct parts needed. Another couple of hundred ££££ for both.
  8. MartayMcFly

[May 5, 2014]
    I thought it would flag an error looking for the wrong wheel... if there's no coding needed then you're on even easier street (relatively)!
  9. PetrolDave

[May 5, 2014]
    I'm almost 100% sure it will need coding to recognise the RS4 FBSW, it's not an MFSW and it has unique coding - and without changing the coding of the SCSM it's probable that the 4 buttons on the wheel (Sport, Set,+ and -) won't work and the SCSM will log a fault code.
    MartayMcFly likes this.
  10. MartayMcFly

[May 5, 2014]
    That was my original thought... Mark said no coding needed going mfsw->fbsw, but I'm sure there is some needed.
  11. bez101

bez101 Yorkshire & Humber Rep. Regional Rep VCDS Map User

[May 5, 2014]
    i think he ment stright swap mfsw to fbmfsw

is the op geting the oem RS4 fbsw with the round buttons silver bottom or a fbmfsw ?
  12. Brodster

Brodster Shark Performance In Scotland Regional Rep Site Sponsor VCDS Map User

[May 5, 2014]
    Yes thats exactly what I meant - straight swap from multi to flat bottomed......should be straight fwd fit. Sorry for the confusion guys....I knew what I meant....lol
  13. PetrolDave

[May 6, 2014]
    Yeah, no coding change needed for that swap.

Might need to clear some fault codes afterwards though... because of removing/replacing the airbag.
  14. davebirl

davebirl 2002 S3 MTM Stg III 345bhp

[May 9, 2014]
    I fitted an RS6 wheel to mine. You get to keep all the functions that way. IMG_1947.jpg
    V6 Quatt likes this.