B7 A4 sound improvement - please help me understand the options!

DrEvil

Reaction score
Hi there,

I'm looking at what upgrades I could get to my speaker system in my B7 A4 style Avant.

I have an OEM 8 speaker set up with microphone. Amp to power the rear speakers, no sub. Standard Symphony HU. Integrated Steering wheel controls. It sounds ok, but I would like it explore how I could cost effectively get it to sound better and I am looking to add some functionality.

In terms of functionality, my key annoyance is lack of bluetooth integration so I can stream songs etc I've had a look at Dynavin etc and they do look good, but I think the latest android auto (we have android phones) units look like they could be a winner for sorting out this functionality and more to do with google maps mirroring etc.

I think this would also improve the sounds somewhat due to the better HU - is this right?

Next question is, if I was to get a better HU, then would I gain much on a speaker improvement (most music is likely to be radio or streamed/compressed - some CDs). If I did this, it would likely be with second hand sourced bits to keep the price right down.

Its seems like my options for speaker upgrade are either the following.
1) Get an amp to power the front speakers, change the front speakers (do you have to do this?) - and then maybe get an sub for the boot (would this need its own amp).
2) Retrofit a BOSE. Alot of people seem against this saying this is going to be a painful retrofit, but seems like to need to get involved with wiring regardless and there are advantages to not having to mess around with speaker housing. Plus it will look/feel OEM. (I started a thread in the B7 forum on this, but it probably should have been in this forum on second thoughts! http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/replacing-an-8-speaker-system-with-a-10-speaker-bose.250002/)

Many threads seem to say that you can get better sound with cheap aftermarket stuff. So my questions on this given the type of music played will there be much of a difference between these systems?

Next question is given I can get a second hand full BOSE 10 speaker + mic system for around £150, what are good bits of kit to get to get in that price bracket for similar sound improvement?

Lots of questions!!

And I'm happy doing wiring (soldering etc) and pulling bits of trim apart though never done anything on radios before!!

Hi yer Dr Evil

Get rid of the Audi rubbish in your car and the upgrade path can be as cheap or as expensive as you like there are some good people on here that have loads of experience I am advising some else on here about the pit falls of car audio install but don't skimp on your install

plan your install carefully and you will rewarded with good sound quality and very good features skimp on something and you might as well keep the Audi rubbish you have in your car double din full dvd player good start anything by a decent manufacture will leave an Audi stereo for dust but make sure its fitted with parrot blue tooth

Hi

I have recently fitted Morel Virtus Components with a hefty amount of Dynamat in my front doors of my B6 and WOW what a difference.

I am in the process of fitting a small JL Audio amplifier behind boot panel to run the fronts and also run the new subwoofer which im fitting in the location of were the factory one will be removed from on the parcel shelf. Ive done it before in a customers car at work and the great benefit is everything is completely hidden away and discreet. Now I know you have a Avant but it still has a subwoofer in the drivers side rear quarter panel (RHD Cars) but this also can be upgraded / new box made to considerably upgrade the sound in the car as its only a 6" sub.

How much do you want to spend in total?

I personally would stay well away from the Dynavin products we have fitted a few for customers at work who have supplied themselves and they dont work or bits missing but most of all have no radio reception.

Drop me a PM if want to know any more and will b happy to help as I am shop manager in a car audio shop in surrey.

Im not going to name drop on here for advertising but ive been doing this for 15 years now and I am always happy to help out even if not for an Audi.