B6 S4 Ridiculous 6th Gear

Paul100

Reaction score
Does anyone know of somewhere I can get the manual gearbox sorted?

I've read on the B5 S4 that it's a fairly easy swap for the 6th gear cog to be changed for one from a diesel to give a more reelaxed cruise at lower revs.

No one I have contacted seems to be interested on doing this on a B6, or want stupid money.

Anyone done it or know someone who has?

Does anyone know of somewhere I can get the manual gearbox sorted?

I've read on the B5 S4 that it's a fairly easy swap for the 6th gear cog to be changed for one from a diesel to give a more reelaxed cruise at lower revs.

No one I have contacted seems to be interested on doing this on a B6, or want stupid money.

Anyone done it or know someone who has?

I've read some people in the states have done it. From memory it drops the rev's down about 500rpm when cruising at 70mph. Some have had it done when upgrading to the 4:1 centre diff that's in the b7 S4 to help justify the cost. But yes its very expensive to do by all accounts. I think I saw a DIY somewhere :think: I just live with it as it a V8 at the end of the day. Also 5p off V-power today at participating shell stations

You could try RK Tuning down in South End as somebody I know got their GT3 gearbox sorted down there. Quick and headache free. Although he did supply the parts to them.

However I don't have the slightest clue how much you would be looking at.

Thanks for the replies chaps I will try contacting RK.

It seems odd that it apparently only 2-3 hour job with the box still in on a B5, but no one seems interested in doing it on a B6. Are the boxes that different?

Its good for my licence though as I find myself cruising around at 65........ (probably being laughed at a lot!!)

Its not a major thing just a niggle on an otherwise mighty car.

What?!?!?!

Was that advertised?

**** - I'll be filling up tonight but I went past the Thomas Lewis Way one yesterday.

You still got the S4 then?

Not very well. I had to fill up anyway and noticed the price on the pump was cheaper than diesel. Asked the guy at the counter and he told me it was 5p off. Said it had been on the radio. I did find a thread about it in the general motoring section when looking yesterday. it was something about treat your car for valentine's day.

Yeah still got the S4, going to keep it for a while now. Hows yours doing? I saw it down at igs the other day when I was getting my MOT done

I am in the process of replacing my 6th gear with one from a 6Spd A4 2001> 2.5L TDI 0.56 Ratio

Part numbers
01E311362D
01E311160D
23/41 Teeth

Good luck

orsum

I am in the process of replacing my 6th gear with one from a 6Spd A4 2001> 2.5L TDI 0.56 Ratio

Part numbers
01E311362D
01E311160D
23/41 Teeth

Good luck

orsum

Are you fitting yourself or have a friendly gearbox place? I cant find anyone interested in doing it for sensible money.

Do you know if the B6 and B7 gearboxes are different?

I am not 100% sure about the B6 and B7 I read on the net that they are the same.

Audi fitted a new gearbox and clutch in my S4 about 10,000km ago and the pressure plate just packed in so they are replacing the clutch etc as I am typing this, I have asked them to do the gear change while the box is out if they refuse then I have a local shop that are capable of the change.

Failing that I will do it myself with a little help from my friends at Audi, it is not a complete strip down it is only the back end that is removed.

Cost of gears in South Africa Rand 7,500

orsum