1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

B6 S4 Oil Change Questions

Sulli Sep 30, 2011

1. Sulli

Sulli Member

I am planning to change the oil on my S4 this weekend. It has been on longlife (5w30), and last service was 6k ago, but I am planning to go to fixed with 5w40.
    The reason I want to do this is 2 fold - firstly I always like to have fresh oil, and I am happy to change oil every 5k miles, so this is much better than a degraded oil potentially doing 20k miles, even if it is so called longlife oil.
    Also, i had to top up recently and the Shell Helix 5w30 from Audi was £17 for 1 litre!! So if I cange the oil I will have spare to top up and it will be better priced.
    Couple of questions - what is the oil capacity on a B6 S4 4.2 when you are doing oil and filter?
    I have priced up GSF and Eurocarparts and both now do Carlube products. The Carlube Triple R 5w40 is around £26 for 5 litres and is 502.00, 503.01 and 505.00 spec so should be the right stuff - is this stuff OK?
    Any any other anomolies for the S4 oil change or any tips?
    Cheers :icon_thumright:

2. cobraBLACK

cobraBLACK Chocolate? It's doo-doo, baby!

Pretty much everything you need to know is here.

3. Sulli69

Sulli69 New Member

Thanks mate, do you know the capacity?
    Managed to get 10 litres of Triple R 5w40 f/synth 502.00, 505.00 plus filter for £52 all in!!!

4. cobraBLACK

I think it's supposed to be 9.5 litres but I've never got that much in there.

I get Fuchs Pro S 5W-40. Bit more expensive but you get what you p\y for in this case.

5. TechFreak

TechFreak New Member

I would highly recommend looking into an ester based oil.

6. rjm180

rjm180 Active Member

Agreed, I've just done mine and the engine took about 9.2L and I used the Fuchs too, v pleased so far.

7. Sulli69

Sulli69 New Member

I believe that as long as it's a decent oil of the right grade, regular changes are the key, whether they are ester based oils or not - whether ester or not, changing the oil every 5-10k miles is so much better for the engine than the 19k long-life interval.
    If what I paid for a decent oil is less than half what i would have paid for an ester oil, then I can change the oil twice as often :), which is the best thing for any engine.

8. Sulli69

Sulli69 New Member

Job done, easy enough.
    Managed to get 9 litres of oil in.
    Audi cost for fixed oil and filter service - £180.
    My cost £52, an hour and I have taken a lot more care I dare say.
    Anyone know how to reset the service interval without vag.com?

9. cobraBLACK

I can't remember the sequence but it's in the owner's manual.