1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

B6 S4 Delphi Alternator Removal

Discussion in 'A4/A4 cabriolet/S4 forum(B6 chassis)' started by nickb834, Mar 29, 2013.

1. nickb834

nickb834 Member

[Mar 29, 2013]
    Time for a new thread with a more appropriate title, from my old thread where I changed the alternator belt, tensioner and idler:

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/a4-a4-...r-belt-shredded-valve-cover-gaskets-gone.html

I now need to replace the alternator (short version, didn't put coolant hose back on properly so alternator exploded - pics to follow when I get the damn thing off). I'm struggling to find a guide to get this Delphi unit off - ElsaWin handily shows it "with the engine removed", and there's nowt I can find on the forum or the net.

I've currently got the front in service position (that and top hose disconnected again) with Power Steering lines still attached, and I just can't wiggle the alternator past it's mounting brackets.

Before I disconnect the PS lines and discharge the aircon to get the lock carrier completely off and out the way - has anyone done an alternator on these S4's or seen a guide anywhere or got any tips for this?

Cheers

Nick
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 22, 2014]

3. nickb834

nickb834 Member

[Mar 29, 2013]
    Here we go - one times toasted alternator - abject lesson in always always double check hose connections :)

photo.jpg

To answer my own question - the way to get these off is:

1. Undo the two 13 mm bolts holding the alternator to the block
    2. you absolutely have to drain the coolant (as opposoed to trying to use a couple of hose clamps)
    3. Now take the radiator top hose off the rad and the hard pipe under the OS Cylinder bank - then you can move that out of the way to expose the top hose on the alternator.
    4. Remove the alternator top hose
    5. then the side hose - squeeze the clip and slide it up and onto the alternators hard pipe.
    6. After that remove the + cable clamp (13mm nut)
    7. unclip the two wire connector
    8. Wiggle it free

I've just sourced a 2nd hand Delphi alternator for 140 quid so I'm gonna take a punt on that - the Delphi's are superseded with Audi and you have to buy the Hitachi for 424 quid, plus nearly 300 quids worth of hoses to convert from a Delphi install to a Hitachi install.

I've also fried the + Lead, the 2 cable connector and a couple of short hoses - so with a bit of look I should be able to source that lot for less than £250 and it's a relatively cheap lesson in how not to f*ck things up.
  4. Audi Doodah

Audi Doodah Active Member

[Mar 29, 2013]
    S**t the bed! You're lucky the whole car didn't go up in smoke

A hard lesson learnt but I bet you won't do it again!?

Good luck with the repair and remember, after double checking...check again!
  5. nickb834

nickb834 Member

[Mar 29, 2013]
    Yeah tell me about it. The good news is I've found 3 S4's being broken so I'm gonna pick em all for parts and get mine sorted fully. Hopefully I've found a pair of wings in the same colour as mine that aren't going rotten :)
  6. Audi Doodah

Audi Doodah Active Member

[Mar 29, 2013]
    Nice one!

Suffering the same issue with my front wings. Tried the Audi warranty route and the claims manager pointed out that both wings had been resprayed already :sob: (same on the rears too!). Just for a laugh, I went to motofix (Audi recommended) and got a quote. For both front wings replaced and blended....£900+!!!! The car only cost me 4 grand!!!

Going to try a DIY patch up in a few weeks but if that ends up looking s**t then ebay it is. Quite a few places offering sprayed panels, ready to fit for approx £120 a wing. Reluctant to scour the breakers because, like you say, they're likely all rotten too!
  7. dualmono21

dualmono21 Well-Known Member

[Mar 30, 2013]
    front wings again is a known problem .... bought my car from a main dealer and still couldnt get audi to accept responsibility for
    piss poor painting i will never ever buy another audi from a main dealer