B6 S4 Buying advice & things to look for.

brixo

Reaction score
Website
www.neilbriscoe.co.uk
Hi all.

I know that there are plenty of places to look on here, but can't find anything to answer my questions... although please point me in the direction if you know of a thread...

I am currently looking for a B6 S4, probably 2003 - 2004, so looking at £15-18k

I have previously had a B5 S4 and know the usual things to look for when buying but don't know a great deal about the things to look for and much buying advice for the B6.

All I know is that I want one and need to get one now before I end up getting wed and having sprogs and all my money is gone!!

Things I need advice on are:

1. tell tale signs of abuse - transmission, engine etc.
2. better with manual or auto? (pref manual - any other opinions).
3. any updates/recalls that I need to check.
4. usual failures/issues.
5. hearing conflicts of cambelt/chain - if so, when?

Thanks all. £15-18k is a lot to spend, so want to make sure I don't set myself up for a hefty repair or service bill 3 months after emptying my wallet.

Hi, great choice :)

I've had mine for a little under 9 months, but can let you know what I found out prior to buying:

1. tell tale signs of abuse - transmission, engine etc.

I choose a 1 owner car, with FSH to try and prevent too many previous owners thrashing the balls of it. The lump itself does seem to be pretty resiliant, and its hardly over stressed turning out 350 bhp from 4.2 litres. Many will use a little oil, around 250-300ml per 1k miles I find, but I do a lot of small trips into work so I guess the oil gets a little hotter than if it were cruising up the motorway all day

2. better with manual or auto? (pref manual - any other opinions).

Many people like the auto box, but I couldn't draw myself away from a manual, and with an auto, you'll not be able to blip the throttle on the down shift, and that sounds so sweet with the V8 and Milltek pipe that I've added!

3. any updates/recalls that I need to check.

again common faults seem to be auxilary radiators, there is 2 of them behind each fog light. They are known to corrode and then leak, especially on the b6 cars. Touch wood, mine have been ok.
Theo ther one is noisy timimg chain on start up, lots of cars suffer it, and its not an issue that anyone has had problems with as far as i'm aware. it will dissappear in 1-2 secs at he most. Basically the oil falls to the sump when engine stops, so when you turn it on later (2 hours or so) there is a moment for the oil to recirculate.

4. usual failures/issues.
Point 3, aux rads. Around £500 to fix the pair, less if you go the independent route,

5. hearing conflicts of cambelt/chain - if so, when?
No cambelt, just a chain, a big one! So no replacement required.

I've loved owning mine every minute I've had it, drive one and you'll want one. the handle reasonably well, its no Scooby or Evo, but then you do have pure quality and comfort and the best soundtrack available for the money your spending.