1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

B6 ICE Questions

Discussion in 'In-Car Entertainment' started by jdp1962, Apr 9, 2006.

1. jdp1962

jdp1962 Grumpy Old Moderator Staff Member Moderator

[Apr 9, 2006]
    I’m thinking about buying a 2003 A4 2.4SE Saloon. I’ve not seen the car yet, only viewed it on the net. From what I can tell, it’s got a Concert 2 CD head unit, standard (i.e. non-BOSE) speakers, and no CD changer. I’ve some questions about how I can add to it:

Firstly, what is the standard speaker set up on the B6 saloon? Are the rear speakers shelf or door mounted? Also, are they passive or active?

I probably wouldn’t go for a CD changer, but instead consider a Phatbox or iPod connection via a Dension ICE-Link (preferred).

If I go for an ICE-Link, would the Concert 2 let me control the iPod from the HU (which would mean I could hide the iPod) or would I have to mount it on view?

If I went for Phatbox, what types of files will it read? All of my songs are on I-Tunes in AAC format. Will a Phatbox read AAC? If it won’t what would I have to do?

Hope someone can help. Thanks
    /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif
  2. Ads

Ads

[Dec 21, 2014]

3. AndyMac

AndyMac Moderator Staff Member Moderator

[Apr 9, 2006]
    The rear speakers are active, with an amp driving both the rears and the sub. The front speakers are driven off the HU. The great thing about the B6 over the B5 is that all the speakers are 6.5" and the door speakers are mounted to the door not the door card so you can actually get good sound from them. Not sure on the saloon but think the rears are on the rear deck. I managed to install a stealth sub in the rear cubbyhole in our Avant as there is loads of room behind the left boot trim, the saloon maybe different, upgraded the front speakers to some Alpine components and drove the sub and the fronts off a 4ch Alpine V12 F400 mounted in the rear right cubbyhole (but it was a bit tight).
    Remember to disconnect the middle speaker in the dash as it acts as a speech/middle/baby crying centre fill and sounds very harsh. Don't think you can control iPOD from the HU but I'm sure someone will confirm.
  4. jdp1962

jdp1962 Grumpy Old Moderator Staff Member Moderator

[Apr 9, 2006]
    Thanks, Andy. If I get this car, I won't be rushing to make changes. The only reason I swapped out the OEM Concert & speakers in my B5 is because the HU was actually defective (as opposed merely to being not very good). From what you've said, the B6 instal is of a higher standard anyway, so I'm more likely to find it satisfactory.

The main reason for the questions about CD changer, Phatbox or iPod link is that it gives me an idea of what to negotiate with the selling dealer when I'm looking for a free install to sweeten the deal.

Am probably going to see it Wednesday, will let you know what happens. Meanwhile, if anyone else can confirm whether a Concert 2 HU can control an iPod, let me know.

Thanks again.