B6 Avant rear light removal

itsmeagain

1.8T Sport Cabriolet
Reaction score
HI my mate has a b6 Avant. He doesnt know how to remove the rear lights to change a bulb, can anyone help?:icon_thumright:

Inside the boot on each side is a small trim gromet, about the size of a 10p piece. Pop this off and then you need a long screwdriver/ socket (I can't remember which) to undo the single screw holding the light in. DON'T under any circumstances drop the screw!

The whole light unit will be loose then, I can't remember the exact technique, but you either slide it out gently to the rear or side. It will be obvious when you see it.

PS don't drop the screw.....

open tailgate
on the side trim you will see a small circle coverd by a cap (about 6" up from floor and about 1" in from boot seal)
remove this cap
then behind the cap theres a 10mm bolt
to get to the bolt you will need a socket and extension
remove this bolt, be carefull not to drop it
pull light rear wards, it may be a bit tight as theres 2 ball sockets that hold the light in aswell.

one thing the bolt doesnt need to come right out if you pull on the light away from the bolts fixing it releases from the bolt thread before bolt comes right out
this way theres less chance of dropping the bolt also leave the socket and extension on the bolt for a little extra security.

open tailgate
on the side trim you will see a small circle coverd by a cap (about 6" up from floor and about 1" in from boot seal)
remove this cap
then behind the cap theres a 10mm bolt
to get to the bolt you will need a socket and extension
remove this bolt, be carefull not to drop it
pull light rear wards, it may be a bit tight as theres 2 ball sockets that hold the light in aswell.

As per that guide, if you do drop the bolt though dont worry you can get it by taking the trim around the boot lock off ;-)

When you do drop the bolt you can buy another at enormous expence from your Audi dealer. When you drop this one as well, you will find that making a long "bolt" with a bit of threaded bar and a nut, which then terminates just below the "grommet", is much better and easier to extract next time a bulb blows!