B5 TDI Water bottle full of oil..

Keithsri

Reaction score
Hi, so checked the car for oil today, there was nothing.. Hmm i thought, but just topped it up anyway, then i thought ild check water, opened cap put my finger in and got pure oil... not even water mixed, it was thick engine oil, bottle was black too...

Now, upon searching it seems the oil cooler is the most likely problem at this time? as the car runs fine, heats fine, never rises about 90 etc.......

Also, bigger problem i have my women's sisters wedding tomorrow morning :O ..and i need to drive about an hour away, do you think i could take it there, and keep an eye on oil etc... i know i shouldnt drive at all, but im really stuck and im not ringing her to tell her now, as shes having a "girly" night with the bride, and bridesmaids etc???? lol

HELP!

sounds like its the oil cooler, quite a common thing on these water/oil coolers.

not too big a job, but you'll need to flush the coolant lots, clean the bottle out and keep an eye on it for a bit.

i wouldn't risk driving with it as is - get a lift and then you can have a beer

Cheers for the reply Farquare.

Yeah, i should be able to tackle it, and get it cleaned out, ****ty job that is lol...

Im definatly beering pal lol, but it was arranged i was taking a load from wedding to the reception party... maybe i could drive one of their cars though.. and not risk driving it.. Although i know this has happened on afew vauxhall engines and the drivers have drove on for awile lol...cant be good though..

Cheers again.

Hi,

No mate, i drove another car, i just didnt want to risk getting stuck somewhere /engine seizing with no oil :O lol.....

Was chatting to a mate though who said it could drove awile if filled with water and oil again and then keep a close eye on it..

Sourced another oil cooler off a mate for 20 dabs, so will get it fired on, and let you know how all go's... Flushing out the system will be **** part, have to repeat that a few times i would say.

Cheers again

Yes, i'd agree with that. The cooler went on my old 20vt and I dropped the new water 4-5 times before it was clear (ish).

Car would probably drive fine if topped up, a friends 80 1z tdi ran like this for about 6 months till the hg finally failled.

Sent from my U20i using Tapatalk

Easy way to flush it all out is jus pop a hose pipe in the pipe on the bottom of the header tank and just wait till water is flowing clear. Not to sure on your engine what other bit to pop off but I'd say take thermostat out aswell to get flowing round full system.