B5 TDi Auto/Tiptronic - Any experience?

M

Max M4X WW

Hi all,

I have wanted a B5 for a while and have found a nice Avant but it is a 1.9 TDi with the auto/tiptronic box. Is this a totally bad idea or should I just buy it, change the fluid (its on over 100k miles) and see how it goes?

Any experience or thoughts welcome!

Thanks

the autos arent too bad if looked after.

I think the big problems are lack of servicing and low oil levels.

I'd be very suspect of a "low mileage" B5 TDI though, make sure its not been clocked.

I guess it depends what you want from the car. A B5 TDI Automatic is hardly the pinnacle of the B5 range.

I'm hoping it will have survived to 120k and a change of oil will do it good now.

The car is just to get my wife to work (40 mile round trip) and may even be temporary until leasing something else.

We would ideally get a 1.8TQS Avant but there are not many about and we don't need Quattro (but like the spec, interior etc!)

The car is definitely 'low miles' as one owner from new.

Always! Just need to make it work. If my numbers came up it would obviously be an RS4!

I can second that. Not the same as my B5 S4. More electronics, less fun... ESP... and I had to do the chains on the one I got.

Or the floor splits, or the bolts fall out the rear subframe. Or trying to find one that’s not been crashed or stolen and isn’t rotten.... I used to work for bmw.. you couldn’t tell...